Sod it... only 3 weeks of ownership.

BX Tech talk
BackinaBX
BXpert

Sod it... only 3 weeks of ownership.

Post by BackinaBX »

Have a look at this.

http://pjarrett.members.beeb.net

Coming up to a roundabout today, a car comes round the corner, and the trailer it's pulling is also coming round the corner; on the wrong side of the road, no longer attached to said car. A bit of hard breaking and fancy wheel work wasn't enough to stop it bouncing off the curb, into my rear quarter.

So that will be a back wing, bumper, light cluster, and, due to the nature of the contact, it took a nice big lump out of the tailgate too...

Brilliant. I've only had it 3 weeks...

The air was blue down in Chepstow today... as blue as blue can be, with a bit of red...

All becuase he hadn't put the locking pin on the trailer. GRR.

EDIT: Sorry about the link. Fixed now, don't know what happened there!
"I'm not into art, I'm just a gun for hire" - Helmut Newton
Jezzie 16v
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Jezzie 16v »

Thats a bummer mate, not put the safety pin in :shock: I know if i "forget" to put the safety pin through the 5th wheel on my arctic its a big fine + an exstensive roadside vehicle check :( .

What sort of trailer was it ? going on the damage it was a rather big one.

Jez
89' Bx16v-Leather and Air
89' Bx16 TRS-Lost its will to live
82' Capri 1.6 Caberet- One day I'll drive it

"You have to be trusted, by the people that you lie too"
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

It looked pretty damn big when it was looming up at me. It's not everyday you see a trailer going all by itself coming right at you.

It was, in fact, fairly sizable. The guy who owned it freely admitted it was all his fault.

Even so... it's going to be an interesting repair.

Anyone ever replaced a rear wing before? I was hoping they would just bolt on, like my old 2CV, but they look like rivets to me.

Ho hum... the joys of motoring.

I think he was lucky. He was heading for the motorway. Just think what could have happened if it came off in the outside lane?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Sorry to hear of your bad news, real p*ss*r that one. If it`s any small consolation there`s a tailgate up here with your name on it if you`re stuck. Not sure if I`ve any hatch rear lights left but if so you can have them too.
Drop me a pm if/when you get 5 minutes if you want them.
Vauxhall apologist.
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

It’s all welded on around the rear. Sorry to tell you this but your insurance company will write it off, that kind of repair would be very expensive. They would pull it on the cost of the bumper, tail gate and rear light alone as all estimates are calculated at the manufactures retail prices. :cry: :cry:
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

Ah... but I know of a place where old BX bits live, and a local mechanic with a welding machine.

Perhaps something can be done... I'll get back to you all on this one.

Good thing happened BEFORE I took it in for the rear bearings... had I just shelled out for those I would be even more p****d off about it.

Post by M »

Mr B wrote: Sorry to tell you this but your insurance company will write it off, that kind of repair would be very expensive.
I concurr - I have extensive experience of insurance companies writing my cars off for minor bumps.

If the car means so much to you buy it back as salvage and repair it. Otherwise have a look for another BX (Sleepys diesel possibly). Personally, I would still buy the car back as salvage and strip it. Oh and refuse the companys first offer as it will be pants. Present them with as much documentation to teh value as possible, because (brace yourself) you will probaly only get offered about £300 at best.
BackinaBX
BXpert

UPDATE

Post by BackinaBX »

Well, there's good news... Not long after that first post I phoned him to get some more details, and he appreciates that my insurance company will write it off... and has agreed to settle with me personally.

We have agreed on a sum of £400 which he has just this moment handed to me, so considering that the car cost me £300, even if it uneconomic to repair using second hand parts, the car now owes me nothing.

Can't be bad.

What a honest fellow - even if this deal does rather smack of an uninsured driver...

Post by mrmrwray »

not necessarily uninsured, i for one have massive insurance because of my manchester post code. The only thing that keeps it down is my no claims. If I was to bump into a car like mine it would be more astute to pay off the driver than deal with the massive increase in the insurance!
In Billy's old diesel and still going strong!
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

I got thumped up the arse a couple of years ago and the driver also paid out in cash.Probably better for him than the hassle of a claim and the loss of his no-claims bonus.Better for me cos my car would have been written off by the legal robbery company
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

If you can get second hand replacements bits cheap enough, have you had a price off a panelbeater to square up that guard?
WE bought an old 16Trs a while back as a hackaround that had a bump as bad or worse than that in it that we reckon is doable as a DIYer. It's almost identical and on the opposite side meaning the fuel cap is also in the act. Ours also had the rear tail light cluster, tailgate and bumper already replaced.
If I can find a pic I'll post it as it's amazing the similarity of the ding; same place, same size. :shock: :shock: about the only things different are colour and side it's on.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thats saveable matey, plus you should hopefully have enough cash left over for the arm bearings!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Have to say with the money burning a hole in my pocket that I would buy Sleepy`s car and keep this for spares or do it up a bit at a time when you had free weekends or evenings.
Vauxhall apologist.
M

Post by M »

cavmad wrote:Have to say with the money burning a hole in my pocket that I would buy Sleepy`s car and keep this for spares or do it up a bit at a time when you had free weekends or evenings.
Too late, its gone to a new home. Still £400 is a very good settlement. Next stop Ebay?
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

I was giving serious consideration to that black TZD Turbo... but by the time I got my arse in gear, it had gone.

£165.

A bargain for whoever bought it... someone off here got I think! It was only down the road too... still...

In other news, I'm getting a quote to get mine road legal again. I think I will just have to live with having a mangled rear wing. Second hand bumper, light cluster... shouldn't come to much.