Tightening up Outer Track bar balljoint

BX Tech talk
Thickasmud
Confirmed BX'er

Tightening up Outer Track bar balljoint

Post by Thickasmud »

Thought I was home and dry after a long but not too painful lower ball joint change, but now the offside outer track bar balljoint spins when tightening up the nut. :?
Any tips, as I cannot seen any flats on the joint itself or hex key slot on the threaded end; there is 1/8th " threaded clear of the nut to get a set of mole grips onto the joint but did nt want to make matters any worse.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Re: Tightening up Outer Track bar balljoint

Post by ken newbold »

Try gripping the track rod with mole grips or similar and twist to put pressure on the joint in it's socket, it should hold it tight enough for you to get the nut on and tightened. If not you may have damaged the threads in the removal process, in which case you need a die nut or try working a spare nut down the threads trying to clear them.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Thickasmud
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Thickasmud »

Thanks Ken I put a "C" Clamp on the tie rod and hub which worked :)
So its back to the MOT station for a full re-test courtesy of the cemented in lower ball joint, after Christmas (First BX in 5 years for my MOT guy, and first look at a BX for a lot of his helpers!).
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I usually find the lower drop link is the pig to stop spinning. However I suspect the same trick would work - try loading the joint slightly with the cars weight via the suspension setting ie high/mid high/normal etc. A bit of playing ususlly helps. Glad you got it sorted. Right pain you don't get a proper 'hold' ie allen socket or similar on these just to get it started.
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

I've found the easy way is to get a plain nut without nyloc on it and spin it all the way up the thread before fitting the ball joint. Then you know the thread is clean and clear and you simply drop in the taper, spin on the nut and tighten it up! Simples. Once it's tight you can replace the nut with the correct nyloc one.