Citroën Challenge 2017

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Citroën Challenge 2017

Post by Philip Chidlow »

June 3rd-11th 2017 Challenge!

NOTE : The route summary/guide has been revised. SEE BELOW

It's a long way off, but here is advance notice of the 2017 'Challenge'. It is provisional, but there's time to hone it into something that will make it the best yet. It takes it's inspiration from what I consider to be the most successful event of its kind to date: the 2012 Challenge, which included a lot of great driving trough the Alps. Bear in mind, I will not be able to please all and there will be compromises, but building on feedback to date, it has elements that should appeal broadly.
It'll be titled The 2017 Citroën Club Challenge - simply because the previous use of the work 'Classic' was prone to misinterpretation and might've put off those owners of say, more modern Citroëns - or 'emerging 'classics' like the AX, ZX or indeed the C6.

The point of the event is to be a road trip for those Citroën owners who fancy a bit of an adventure with fellow enthusiasts and friends, some time relaxing at a nice venue (this marks a difference to previous events in that I've built in a three-night stop-over for relaxation, car fettling and general exploration) and the chance to enjoy a variety of landscapes. There's a trip to the Reims museum included as well as the possibility of a historic battlefield visit which has proved popular in the past. It is possible that a band of intrepid members might take advantage of the lengthened stop-over at Le Roustou to make a dash for the Med via Digne and the renowned Route Napoleon to Cannes...

Importantly, this is NOT a camping trip. Unless you want it to be. Accommodation will be Hotel, Chalet or tent depending upon individual preferences. I would say we are hoping to get a good deal on a cluster of chalets from the Citroën-enthusiast owner of the site Le Roustou so the stay there will be suitable for all. Even if not, there's a Hotel not far away.
It involves a starting at Amiens or thereabouts… Easily accessible from Dieppe/Calais/Dunkirque and not much of a problem getting there from Caen either. And a safe distance from the potentially awkward coastal areas (thinking migrant camps and car security).

Anyway, here's an updated graphic illustrating the basic plan.

PLEASE e-mail me at challenge2012@btopenworld.com if interested and I'll put you on the mailing list.
Also note:it's 2012 on the email address because, well, that's the first Challenge I used the address on and I don't want to change lol!

Updates will follow periodically. As before there’ll be some initial setting up of accommodation details and so on and once we have the finer details worked out, there’ll be a bit of a quiet period. But let’s not forget the best way to secure crossings at a good price is to book early, so come summer this year we can start coordinating crossings and I will be asking people to book their accommodation (hotel rooms) in good time too.

Regarding campsites, if you are planning to sleep under canvas there’s not much need to book at that time of year; just roll up. If you (like me) want a chalet, I will coordinate the booking of those, employing the linguistic skills of a mate or two, so we can get a cluster of them.

This time the only navigator notes will be essentially a series of start and finish points with way points and SatNav preferences. This follows from last year where it was apparent everyone used SatNav and a detailed road-by-road route plan was unnecessary.

Last edited by Philip Chidlow on Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Citroën Club Challenge 2017

Post by Tim Leech »

I'm in!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
xantia_v6
BXpert
My Cars: Peugeot 308 CC
Citroen XM V6 ES9
Citroen Xantia V6
Jaguar XJ-S V12

Post by xantia_v6 »

If I might make a couple of suggestions for the proposed route...

On day one, Beaune ( http://www.beaune-tourism.com ) is a better waypoint than Dijon, access from the autoroute is easier, as is parking. You can nip into the 15th century Hospice for a visit, or a wine tasting at the many cellars. You might even get permission to park up in the afternoon in the town square (Place Carnot).
[edit] I would recommend coming off the autoroute at Dijon, and taking the D974 Route de Vin to Beaune. [/edit]

On day 2, a small detour to http://www.musee-malartre.com near Lyon is worthwhile.

Moving the stop from Nancy to Mulhouse would give a better opportunity to visit http://www.citedelautomobile.com , which must be one of the best car museums anywhere. (there is also an excellent railway museum in Mulhouse).

I will be in Beaune at the time, maybe the XM will need a run.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Thanks for the suggestions. :-) As you appreciate this is a draft plan and the details of the route are yet to be hammered out. It's possible we won't be able to do everything you suggest bearing in mind the time we need to allow for the driving part of each section... Given my experience from previous events I would not have thought it'd be easy to give the time it deserves to visit Beaune, as we need to get south as far as Bourg-en-Bresse in a day. But let's not discount the possibility: I'll look into it. We did the Mulhouse route (although there wasn't time to visit the museum) last time we were in the area... It's important to acknowledge this is a road trip and not a tour of museums - much as it'd be great to do that as well we only have nine days. I've selected the Day Seven leg to include Besançon as we haven't done the roads and terrain of that area justice before.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

NOTE : The route summary/guide has been revised. (see top)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Entry to this event is easy. All I will need is name, address, contact e-mail and mobile no. I would like to know what Citroen you intend to be in (just out of interest - not mandatory!), plus the name of any co-driver(s).

There is an entrance fee of £60 per car. Payable in advance, but seeing as it's so far off you have lots of time.... but 8 weeks prior to the event would be latest as I need to organise sticker packs etc.
What does the fee cover? Stickers, postage, information sheets/navigator notes plus a souvenir gift/little plaque and whatever discount vouchers I can get. And please, I do need a little for admin.

Use this address in correspondence: challenge 2012@btopenworld.com
Thanks!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi Phil

I can give you the moneys whenever suits mate.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

As I'm now my Dad's carer I can't really commit, but I'd love to come along again. Things might change between now and then though.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'll not be expecting to take bookings (and fees) until about May... Then I will have a more detailed plan and itinerary. However I will let interested parties have the accommodation and crossing options before then...
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Will we be camping at Le Rostou? I'm sure the car loving owner would be pleased to see us bunch of reprobates again. :) beers ~wine~
Mark Smith

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Have you actually looked at the map I posted up Mark.....?? ; )

There's a clue there.

lol

(Yes, in a word. And yes the owner is aware and has said we'd be welcome :) )

Last edited by Philip Chidlow on Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I did see Le Rostou was on the route, but wasn't sure if it was chalets or Le Canvas. :)
Mark Smith

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Both Sir :) They have some nice Chalets there, matey. Must say I am already looking forward to it :)
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I'll do my best to take part. :)
Mark Smith

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

You deserve it, Mark.