Temp Gauge

BX Tech talk
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Temp Gauge

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I know this has been covered before but i need some advice.

My TZD is as most know is 'without temperature gauge'

I want to fit one and i have a dash pod from a GTi spare.

What EXACTLY do i need to do as electrics really arent my thing.
Over and out from me
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Here you go ian follow the link and half way down the page is your answer.
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/cooling/cooling.php
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
M

Post by M »

Or if fitting an aftermarket one:

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/diy/tempgauge/

My own car has the gagues from a Pug 205 GTI grafted in.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I want to fit the gauges out of a GTi but the tramontana site is far too complicated for me to understand.

Can anybody simplify it specifically for the TZD?
Over and out from me
M

Post by M »

Referring to the Pug 205 not the 405. You can swap bits around and create a BX binnacle with a water temp gauge. You need to use a taller blue topped sender unit on the engine and can use the original wire to the binnacle.

The oil temp gauge will require another sender, which fits in a separate hole in the sump behind the bottom engine mount.
The BX doesn't have this extra hole unfortunately; you will have to find a sump pan with one on. Pug 205 diesels have one. If you can get hold of a 205GTI binnacle, they fit straight in but the rev counter is wrong and you will need a flywheel sensor to make it work.

Take the Water & oil gauge from the 205 GTI pod and replace the lamps on the righthand side of the TZD dash pod. You may have to use a resistor to get the gauge to read meaningful amounts - Mr. B has done this and will be able to give you a lot more detail.

Apologies for the pants photo - will try & do a better one tomorrow.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I'm not bothered about oil temp, its water temp i'm interested in.

Aaron has sent me a really good explanation but i'm still a little confused about a couple of bits.

When i work it out i think we should post it in the proper 'DIY' section of the forum.
Over and out from me
M

Post by M »

Remember - keeping your BX free from Mud will help prevent overheating and potatoes....

Sorry - lashed again :?
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

Ian - I did my TZD awhile back (posted on this forum somewhere) and it really only took about 10 minutes to do the actual conversion once the instrument panel was out. I used the third option on the Tramontana site as it is the easiest and I had a spare connector I could take one pin out of. I cut the single wire going to the bottom two pin connector on the back of the instrument panel and joined the end from the engine to my new connector pin after pushing it into the empty slot 6 on the large white 10 pin connector block you unplugged off the instrument panel when removing it. That was it for the electrical bit, the rest was just undoing the tiny nuts, removing the blank idiot light panel and inserting the oil/temp gauge panel from the GTi panel. Put the instrument panel back in place temporarily, plug all the connectors in (except the bottom 2 pin one you've cut off) and check your backlights. You also need to replace the 105C temp warning switch on the top of the thermostat housing (mine was a 91 TZD so had both warning and high temp switches on the top of the housing) with a temperature SENSOR from a GTi and that is all there is to it. I bought a new sensor as I didn't trust the old one I got with my used panel and have checked it with an electronic themometer - is within 1C so is pretty accurate.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Tramonta may seem a little confusing in parts but option 3 is the simplest. As for the transplant of the oil/coolant temp module this is very straightforward, so long as you take things steadily.

If you've already removed a pod, and can take that pod apart, and detach the temp module, then you've done virtually everything that's required to be done on your car. As for the temp sender, do you have the one from the donor GTi? Matching temp sensors and gauges are a good idea.

THe most important thing is that it's a classic "suck it and see" fitment - you'll see very soon if it's working as it should - and this should be done BEFORE putting it all back together.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

The problem is that i dont have a GTi temp sensor.

Can they be bought brand new for a reasonable sum?
Over and out from me
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Ian_Fearn wrote:The problem is that i dont have a GTi temp sensor.

Can they be bought brand new for a reasonable sum?
Yes -
They are fairly standardised. Bushes are available if the thread size does not fit.
Temp sender & pressure sender sensors are available for all gauges you may like to fit in your car.
Try the popular car equipment sellers around - those shops that always have a display of Lexus type rear lamp clusters and alloy wheels.

IIRC the XU engine threading for the sensor switches are 14x1.25mm. Most standard sensors are available exactly with this threading. Note that many german cars use a 12mm dia thread, which means some shops only stock these - and a selection of size bushes.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I think the sensor cost me about £12 from a Citroen dealer - I will try and dig out the invoice and let you know the part number.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

original remark self censored for self centred reasons :? :wink:
Last edited by ed4ferrets on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I'm still completely unsure as to which part i need for mine. Does anybody know the part off the PR net?
Over and out from me
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Ian -

I believe it would be item 7 from the GTI/16V variants partslist :

1230 06 235606 WATER OUT-FLOW GTI 16S
http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 356060.gif
03 - 0242 46 - SENSOR ENGINE MANAGEMENT Dkr329,95 exvat
06 - 95 579 684 - TEMPERAT SWITCH
07 - 1337 72 - TEMPERATURE SENDING UNIT Dkr101,55 exvat (approx £9 exvat)

The sending unit is a very simple NTC resistor mouldid into a sensor housing. An NTC resistor would be much cheaper than a mechanical temperature switch - sensor type. Hence the low price.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak