Loud HP Pump

BX Tech talk
adamskibx
BXpert

Loud HP Pump

Post by adamskibx »

Just noticed the other day that when I open the bonnet with the engine running, the most significant clattering is coming from the HP pump. It sounds like they do when they are running dry when they havent been primed ect, but the fluid level is fine and the car rises quickly.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Sounds like the pump is on the way if theres plenty of LHM around, I have one from a GTI if its any use to you though its been off the car for about five years.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

thanks for the offer stuart, but I have just got the pump off the original engine, so ill try that. I need to spend a solid weekend on this car really. Ive got so many little jobs to do, the most major is finding the oil leak that still remains. Its coming from the cambelt end, fills the engine mounting with oil after a motorway journey etc. The belt is dry however. I have jsut changed the rocker cover seal with no avail. Yesterday, I ran the engine on the drive until hot and left it running for 15 minutes to see if i could see the oil leak. It seems to be coming from the crankshaft oil seal or higher up but I can only see up as far as the crankshaft. Does the water pump plate have an oil seal, or is that just to seal water? I reallly got frustrted with it as its beaten me really:-(
Cheers, Adam
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I dont wish to be the bearer of bad news but has the corner of your headgasket broken away? I've seen it where the edge of the gasket breaks away and the oil running through the passage from the block to the head leaks oil, its not dead easy to see though.
Over and out from me
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

:cry: Bugger!
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Bugger indeed!!! :twisted:

I hope not! I will get a powerful torch and a mirror and check that tomorrow. It would have to be the corner on the cambelt end as thats where its coming from. I think the corner that sticks out is on the other side, not that thats relavant I suppose. Umm ill check this tomorrow but i blimmin hope not.