rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

rear sphere removal

Post by rutter123 »

I need to remove the rear struts from the tzd breaker, my prob is i cannot pressurise the system as it has too many leaks, the spheres are b#####d tight and the rear arms are off the car, the rear struts are sitting loose in the carriers, i cant crack the spheres off with the cold chisel and mallet approach as this will damage the pipe fittings on the struts, any ideas?

My alternative is to cut the carriers open with an angle grinder and remove the whole strut c/w sphere but ideally i dont want to do this.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
ken newbold
Over 2k

Re: rear sphere removal

Post by ken newbold »

I don't think you'll do it. I think the only way you'll do it is to cut through the rear struts, they're only aluminium so cut easily with reciprocating saw or grinder.
They think it's all over, it is now!
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Post by jamescarruthers »

Could you pressurise the strut on its own rather than using the car's leaky system?
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

No i cant pressurise anything at the rear end as there is no pipework or anything to build up any pressure, i may have a solution.
Kaapelimies
BXpert

Post by Kaapelimies »

BX 4x4 estate, several BX Van's and some more normal estates in Finland.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I have a monster chain wrench to do this job. The rears are always the hardest, the fronts and accumulator you can do even with those rubber straps most of the time. You need a fairly good sized chain (as per thread K points too), a motorcycle size one is ideal, or the pukka tool. That or any other way of getting a good 'wrap' on it and applying pressure. Even an old seat belt wrapped round would do it, as long as you can get purchase on the end with a bar.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Tinkley wrote:I have a monster chain wrench to do this job. The rears are always the hardest, the fronts and accumulator you can do even with those rubber straps most of the time. You need a fairly good sized chain (as per thread K points too), a motorcycle size one is ideal, or the pukka tool. That or any other way of getting a good 'wrap' on it and applying pressure. Even an old seat belt wrapped round would do it, as long as you can get purchase on the end with a bar.
Would you like to explain how this works when there is no pressure in the system and not even any rear arms in place?
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Nothing to stop a 'wrap' around the strut part held by a bar against the ground and weight of car (or any other stop ie rear sub frame) and then the chain wrench working (normally) against it. A lot easier to crack the sods before letting it all go.... :wink: You do need the space or height off the ground to be able to do this though.
I undo the hub nuts by using a bar through the wheel nuts and on ground, against the 35mm socket (plus 1meter minimum extension) on the front hubs. As long as you can lock the twist on the rear suspension cylinder and preferably make it self tightening it should (hopefully) remain undamaged. the gaiter will have had it but that is the 'cheap' part.
Sometimes I'm sure all of us have had to be a bit 'creative' at finding solutions when we don't have all the toys... :wink:
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Tinkley wrote:Nothing to stop a 'wrap' around the strut part held by a bar against the ground and weight of car (or any other stop ie rear sub frame) and then the chain wrench working (normally) against it.
Have you ever done this?
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

This is the method i used using 2 chain wrenches, yes it did ruin the gators but they are off with no further damage. They were f tight tho it was a 2 man job.