1991 BX17 TZD Turbo For Sale £250+

Advertise your car for sale here. No parts or eBay spots in here please.
Scogg22
My Cars: 91 Bx17 TZD Turbo

1991 BX17 TZD Turbo For Sale £250+

Post by Scogg22 »

So I've recently inherited a BX which has been sitting around for quite some years, although it was used to jumpstart a dead jag a few weeks ago. My original plan was to do it up and drive it, since a 1.7 intercooled, turbocharged XUD is a pretty rare thing to drive at my age but it's simply not practical since I don't have the knowledge to fix it myself or the money to pay someone else to fix it for me.

Anyway, I figured this would be the best place to post an advert:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/322113557495?_mwBanner=1

It's currently up for auction with a starting price of £250. I'm hoping it will go for more though as its in good condition and Im putting myself through university in September so I need all the spare pennies I can get :cry:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Re: 1991 BX17 TZD Turbo For Sale £250+

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Has it been sat on grass for the time it's been around for quite some years? I'm sorry to say it could have some real corrosion issues underneath. And although it's usual for the rear wings to rot on the estates it is not an easy fix, unfortunately, as its often a lot worse underneath. It does look like it could be a lot of work to get right so if I were you, I'd see how it goes but do, in the end, be prepared for it to be bought for spares by someone. And it might not easily sell for £250 if it is immobile - and no paperwork will not help. Best of luck though, get what you can for it (to be frank, even though it is a TD estate - a good combo - it's worth precious little to most sadly), and thanks for thinking of us.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Any idea if the mileage is genuine? Looks quite battered for such a low miler, but a white front bumper and wings are easy to locate/fit but the rust would need more investigation.

Can I suggest getting a few more photos, showing the rust issues.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Scogg22

Post by Scogg22 »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Has it been sat on grass for the time it's been around for quite some years? I'm sorry to say it could have some real corrosion issues underneath. And although it's usual for the rear wings to rot on the estates it is not an easy fix, unfortunately, as its often a lot worse underneath. It does look like it could be a lot of work to get right so if I were you, I'd see how it goes but do, in the end, be prepared for it to be bought for spares by someone. And it might not easily sell for £250 if it is immobile - and no paperwork will not help. Best of luck though, get what you can for it (to be frank, even though it is a TD estate - a good combo - it's worth precious little to most sadly), and thanks for thinking of us.
It's been sat on concrete for about 3-4 years I believe and I did have a look underneath and it looks like it's been under coated but I haven't had a chance to look under it properly. I've done some research and they look like really interesting cars with quite a niche following
Tim Leech wrote:Any idea if the mileage is genuine? Looks quite battered for such a low miler, but a white front bumper and wings are easy to locate/fit but the rust would need more investigation.

Can I suggest getting a few more photos, showing the rust issues.
The milage is genuine, it only had one owner that I know of and I believe she owned it from new or a few years off new and she wouldn't have tampered with it, she only used it for small trips as she was quite elderly. The reason the front is so bashed up is because the owners son managed to drive it into a gatepost in his infinite wisdom. :roll: I'm going to see if her son has any paperwork to prove all of this though. As for pictures, I'm in the process of taking some more right now as I didn't have a chance to the last time I was there. Thank you all for your help though! :D
Scogg22

Post by Scogg22 »

Good news, I've found some paperwork, still working on sourcing some more (the previous owner was the kind of person who kept everything. I've also uploaded some more pictures of the car to the auction page
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Looked like it had potential until I saw the rear door shuts, corrosion there and that high up will have spread to the rear sill sub-frame mounts which is very major surgery unfortunately....in the words of the dragons I'M OUT!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Worth consideration as a donor for someone? - I'm liking the Zenith interior. That wasn't standard on the TD was it? It's usually seen in TZS and/or TZi I think.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Eek, that's well rotten, I think it's probably best a s donor car for one that's done a lot of miles and is tired, if the door shuts are that bad I can imagine there's plenty more lurking, shame.

It's probably the lowest miles TZD estates but not financially viable unless you can weld.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

In fairness, my 17k mile mk1 has rusty as hell rear arches and sills, but structurally (rear mounts, legs, pillars etc) it's mint! So don't write it off just yet.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Im hopefully gonna have a look at this one at weekend, but since more pics have been added im in two minds mainly the c-pillars put me off-but it may not be as bad as it looks ive seen worse, not too far from me so could be worth a punt if the mileage is genuine, been after an estate for a while. I dont mind a bit of welding, but there is welding and there is WELDING!!! Potentially could be a good car or could be a yet another donor.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Kitch wrote:In fairness, my 17k mile mk1 has rusty as hell rear arches and sills, but structurally (rear mounts, legs, pillars etc) it's mint! So don't write it off just yet.

You can weld thought Kitch! :wink:
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

I can weld Tim, but you need good metal to weld to. Sometimes not that easy if it's too far gone. This estate dosen't look too bad at first glance but the metal poking stick will prove its worth if/when i get to view it. If the driver side c-pillar is that bad chances are the nearside will be worse.
Scogg22

Post by Scogg22 »

rutter123 wrote:I can weld Tim, but you need good metal to weld to. Sometimes not that easy if it's too far gone. This estate dosen't look too bad at first glance but the metal poking stick will prove its worth if/when i get to view it. If the driver side c-pillar is that bad chances are the nearside will be worse.
Your best bet is to come have a look for yourself, I've tried to be as honest and descriptive as possible but I'm not sure where the common places for rust are on these cars
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

Hi Scogg22, bx rust spots are inner wings, front door top hinge plates, bases of A/B/C pillars, boot floor around the exhaust hanger, rear chassis rails, rear beam mountings, rear end of sills, rear quarters on estate models, under screenwash reservoirs, front scuttle, top of A-pillars near the roof, once the tin worm has got in to these areas (esp if the car has been stood in damp surroundings) it's sometimes fatal I have brought many bx's back from the brink of almost certain death, I dont doubt your honesty as a bx is not exactly your "everyday car" now becoming quite specialized and sometimes only for the brave.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Tim Leech wrote:
Kitch wrote:In fairness, my 17k mile mk1 has rusty as hell rear arches and sills, but structurally (rear mounts, legs, pillars etc) it's mint! So don't write it off just yet.

You can weld thought Kitch! :wink:
Mobile welders are pretty cheap, so the issue is where the rot is as much an anything. If it's deep and structural, that's bad. If it's a sill or the exhaust hanger, it's easy to make a good job of it.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)