Wanted (in time): Diesel turbo BX Estate (silver preferred)

Advertise your car for sale here. No parts or eBay spots in here please.
Dragon Man
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen Dispatch 2.0L HDi 2005
Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley 1991

Wanted (in time): Diesel turbo BX Estate (silver preferred)

Post by Dragon Man »

this is more of a "putting the feelers out" kinda thing.
i have wanted one for quite some time. i have fond memories of one from my childhood though not the estate version, i just like the look and practicality of them.

one with an MOT would be great however i am quite good with the tool set and welder (both my fiat panda 4x4's were found in fields with no floors left) so i am not too fussed about one that needs "some" work.

my budget is not huge but i am saving up more and more each week.

ideally one as close as possible to me would be great. i've been stung before on vehicle transport and it was not nice.

let me know what's about.. :D

Thanks everyone! :)
Last edited by Dragon Man on Sun May 22, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- JohnDragonMan

Drives: Citroen Dispatch with retrofitted air conditioning 8)
Classic Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley named Talon (long term storage)

always buy base spec. that way you have the fun of putting all the cool bit on your vehicle :mrgreen:
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: Wanted (in time): Diesel 19 BX Estate (turboed and silver preferred)

Post by Defender110 »

Have you thought about doing the lotto instead? ;-)

Estates are very rare so you take what you can but a 1.9 turbo doesn't exist IIRC.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

If your budget is not huge then your outlay on "fixing it up" may well exceed what you might expect, bx's are not expensive to buy (a few hundred quid will get you a runner) but dont expect a lot, hydraulics will most likely need extensive work and rust can be a real issue. My advice is buy the best you can afford and still expect to shell out more to get a usable car. Good bx's are quite rare now and estate models very few and far between and as /\ says a 1.9 turbo was never made, the turbo diesel is actually a 1.7 producing 90bhp and the 1.9 being naturally aspirated producing a whopping 65 odd bhp tho fitting a Xantia 1.9 t/d lump is quite an easy swap. Best of luck with your search.

They are quite a bit different from a Fiat Panda too, not suffering quite so badly from rust issues.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Actually the TD is a 1.8 :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Dragon Man
BXpert

Post by Dragon Man »

thanks for the info! i thought they used the XUD engine?? i know they sound awesome when they run. real proper diesel clatter box! the one we had was a diesel and it sounded really nice. not sure on the engine though as said this was going back to when i was but a lad, maybe 3-4 years old.

i remember my dad saying it was very slow... then he found a small pipe not on the turbo right, so he fitted it and it ran much better.. dono if the engines use a vacuum system to control the turbo..

this would also be the first diesel car i would have had on the road as my own vehicle. always wanted a diesel! i know common rail made the diesel a real competitor to the petrol engine.. but i'd still not mind a mechanical diesel engine.. and to be fair 90HP from a 1.7/1.8 indirect injection diesel engine was pretty damn good! hell early common rail diesel tech was only just achieving the same results and that was with larger engines!

like i say.. the longer i leave it.. the better the BX i can buy. if i have the funds i am willing to spend quite a bit on one given it is in very good condition.

as for the hydraulic system, i think i would swap out all of the steel piping for copper stuff... just for piece of mind... unless thats a bad idea?

i remember the one we had.. the top front strut mounts were bad.. so my dad part exchanged it for a Ford Granada Scorpio.. this is going back some time though.

thanks for the replies!
- JohnDragonMan

always buy base spec. that way you have the fun of putting all the cool bit on your vehicle :mrgreen:
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

Kitch wrote:Actually the TD is a 1.8 :lol:
Never seen a bx badged as a 1.8. bx18?? :?
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

XUD7TE on the turbo diesel and XUD9 on the n/a, shouldn't be too clattery if so avoid it.The waste gate and fuel pump have a certain amount of adjustment better if you have the bosch pump and easier if you have the garrett turbo 120bhp is easily acheived with the risk of catastrophic mechanical failure if you get it wrong, my t/d is currently running at 100bhp which is about all you can get with the standard intercooler, for better results a bigger intercooler will be required. Standard factory settings are approx 0.8/ 0.9 bar pressure which is about 12/14psi, mine is running about 16psi on boost with all the original air intake pipework removed and a power filter fitted. About a 10% increase. Turbo is controlled by vacuum/ boost valve only there is no electronics involved as the XUD is purely mechanical.
As for copper piping i think cupra nickel is a far better bet as its non corrosive and more flexible and pipes can be made to order i would certainly recommend replacing all the rubber pipes and octopus, returns, and all the original front to rear steel pipes as they will be aged/corroding/perishing and hydraulic failure will be imminent just when you dont expect it, bearing in mind pipework will be approx 25yrs old or more, and probably most of the pipe seals esp on the flow valve.
Owning and running a bx can be a labour of love so be prepared for many hours of seized fittings and swearing and more swearing and more f#####g swearing and bleeding knuckles and hours of frustration etc etc........
Dragon Man
BXpert

Post by Dragon Man »

ahh sounds like a fiat panda then only a lot.. way way a lot more complex.

how many pipes are we talking here? are they all the same width or are the brakes a different size than the say the suspension system?
i have replaced ALL the breaking system on both of my pandas. it was simple on them though.

this is probably the wrong place to ask but does the system auto bleed? ive been told that everything hydraulic is linked and if one thing fails, it all will.

it still does not put me off though. i have a damn good tool set and will tackle pretty much everything it could throw at me.
the car was pretty much built by humans.. a single human can rebuild it! (it would just take a little longer!)
- JohnDragonMan

Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

rutter123 wrote:
Kitch wrote:Actually the TD is a 1.8 :lol:
Never seen a bx badged as a 1.8. bx18?? :?
They badged it as a 17 to differentiate between the larger engine xud, and the cheaper one. In reality it's technically a 1.8, and in all the Peugeots was listed as a 1.8.

MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Re: Wanted (in time): Diesel turbo BX Estate (silver preferred)

Post by MULLEY »

There are 2 versions of the 1.9 diesel n/a engine, the higher powered one is 71-72bhp, which in a light car is ok, the engines can be revved hard, so performance is on tap if you want to overtake etc...even the 1.7 n/a engine isn't too bad, but the extra torque of the turbo is noticible especially when fully loaded up @)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Dragon Man
BXpert

Post by Dragon Man »

to be honest, i am not really bothered what diesel engine would be in the car, the turboed one would be better as i do like to take drives up and around north derbyshire (im also a radio ham so often looking for high up places).

to be honest i wish'd i had went in for the white one that just recently sold, they really do look the part in silver or white. sigh one day..

i have heard great things about the XUD and know them to be one hell of an engine that never really breaks down even when abused.
lets face it, a car with the XUD is never really scrapped because the engine fails.

i am slowly reading through the forum and peoples repair posts. i'm going to buy a Haynes manual soon and give it a good read.
if i do ever get one that needs work, expect one hell of a project thread. if any of you have seen my cars threads on FiatForum you will see what i mean.. picture heavy and video logs!

i do hope i can get one that is not severely rusty however. the mechanicals do not bother me so much as i am use to stubborn bolts and hard to reach places on cars.

if anyone can link me to a good picture of the underside of the car that would be awesome. i have read where the common rust points are on these cars but would like to see where it is, in detail.
- JohnDragonMan

Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

rutter123 wrote:100bhp which is about all you can get with the standard intercooler, for better results a bigger intercooler will be required.
Mr Fenwick might disagree with you there mate, as might the soot stains still lingering in my workshop :lol:

Think he got 114bhp or something like that.

RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

I know of a silver turbo estate in Hackney with a broken camshaft - owner will take scrap price for it I think. PM me for deets if you're interested.
1991 Citroen BX 16v
northernchap
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1992 BX17 TZD Turbo Diesel Estate, 1988 Fiat Panda 4x4, 1991 Peugeot 309 GLD, 1965 Ford Mustang

Post by northernchap »

RobC wrote:I know of a silver turbo estate in Hackney with a broken camshaft - owner will take scrap price for it I think. PM me for deets if you're interested.
Is the camshaft the same as the one in the 205 diesel? If so, I have one of those sitting around doing nothing...
1992 BX17 TZD Turbo Diesel Estate [Red]
1988 Fiat Panda 4x4 [NATO green]
1991 Peugeot 309 GLD [Champagne beige]
1965 Ford Mustang [Black]
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

I have no idea
1991 Citroen BX 16v