Sound proofing

BX Tech talk
morningglory
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1994 TZD Estate in 'Canal-Boat Green'

Sound proofing

Post by morningglory »

Anyone any experience of trying a bit of DIY sound proofing?

I'm thinking about it as a summer project. I have to think many months in advance before spending such £££. I don't have an Ali G type stereo, I just want a bit more peace on motorways that haven't been resurfaced since Disraeli.

There's this thread http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... ndproofing

and this one http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... ndproofing

Ta

Joe
1994 TZD Estate in 'Canal-Boat Green'

morningglory
Confirmed BX'er

Re: Sound proofing

Post by morningglory »

If anyone is reading this, its worked a treat.

Front footwells and bulkhead had absolutely loads of stuff on so no need to add anything. The rest of the cafr has nothing.
Silent coat deadener stuff used for inner and outer door skins, rear footwells, boot floor and sides and tailgate (about a third of the area covered).
6mm self adhesive closed cell foam all over everything for trim and carpets put back
Heat reflective 20mm closed cell foam in between bonnet and existing sound proofing felt blanket thing

By far the best value is the bonnet stuff. Kills a lot of engine ticking and clicking and everything dulled to a rumble. Whole car is much better for road noise. I am quite sensitive to noise but even my girlfriend (who isn't bothered by noise and could sleep through an army of screaming toddlers destroying the house) is impressed by the difference.

£150 though! Only worth it if you are very particular I reckon.

rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Money well spent this is something ive been meaning to do for many years, where did you buy your sound proofing? And i expect your insulation will be improved as well.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
morningglory
Confirmed BX'er

Post by morningglory »

eBay for the 'Silent Coat' stuff and www.carinsulation.co.uk for the foam and bonnet stuff (they also have an eBay shop).

I spent a looong time researching this as there is so much to choose from and so much stuff from car-modders and boy racers on the internet. The best resource I found was http://www.talkstuff.net/ipb/index.php/ ... brication/ - really helpful forum.

The only problem now is that all I can hear is the bits of plastic trim rattling and creaking inside the car!

frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

Thanks for this, I've been meaning to look into it for my Valver. I think that in the Australian heat my sound deadening has separated from the firewall. The thick factory foam seems to be hanging down in the drivers footwell and - a fair bit of noise is getting through from the footwells. Looks to be hard to remedy with the dash in!

Did you put the 6mm foam on the doors? How about the roof?
1989 Citroën BX 16v
1993 Citroën BX 16v project
morningglory
Confirmed BX'er

Post by morningglory »

If you take the front footwell carpet up, you should be able to get good access right up and under the dash a bit. Obviously better with the dash out. Footwells seem to have thick deadener, then really thick foam, felt and a thick rubber/plastic sheet, then more felt. I was impressed by how much was in there but that's the most important place.

On the doors, the 6mm foam is between the door card and the inner skin. Its supposed to act as a total barrier to anything from the outer skin so make sure any holes are covered.

Not done the roof though. It is a big panel that will resonate a lot but it would cost loads in materials and most noise comes from the road or engine.

Dragon Man
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen Dispatch 2.0L HDi 2005
Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley 1991

Post by Dragon Man »

i just went down my local scrap yard and got loads out of scrap cars. i think i have the most silent fiat panda 4x4 ever!
- JohnDragonMan

Drives: Citroen Dispatch with retrofitted air conditioning 8)
Classic Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley named Talon (long term storage)

always buy base spec. that way you have the fun of putting all the cool bit on your vehicle :mrgreen: