Sod it... only 3 weeks of ownership.

BX Tech talk
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If you have a MIG or access to one it may not be too difficult to fit a rear wing.

They are spot welded on - and unlike most cars do NOT have a complex joint with the inner wheel arch. The back of the BX shell is like a box with flat sides and the outer wind is welded on the outside of the box.

If you are thinking of removing it special cobalt (very hard) drills with a centre pip and flat cutting edges are available (bit like a wood drill) for unpicking spot welds, while leaving a (relatively) undamaged panel underneath.

If you are thinking of saving it (which you may well be able to do) be careful NOt to stretch it by bashing it with a hammer. Its best to lever and pull it back into shape by applying force in the opposite direction to the force that did the damage.

Panel beating hammers (shaped) and dollies are vailable in kits quite cheaply from places like Machine Mart as are the special drills.

Quite fun to see just what can be doen without filler!

Another method is to get a wing off another car and use the bit that is needed. Sounds like bodgery - but its recommended by Jaguar as legitimate rather than replace half the car! The joints sould be lapped by joddling and the join and other imperfections filled.

Before doing anything its worth getting underneath and having a really good look to make sure there is no distortion or stretched welds round the boot and chassis area.
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

Under the car is fine. The support bracket for the lower bit of the wing will need straightening out a bit and welded, and the N/S mounting bracket for the back bumper is gone all together... ripped off. Otherwise, all is well.

I'm going to go down the beat it out a bit route. I phoned a guy I know who's an insurance assessor (don't hold it against him, he's a dead nice chap) who said this would be a total loss situation, but for the money I've got in my pocket, there's no reason why it can't be put back on the road legally. Although the quote for labour is about right, there's no point spending all that money on a car I bought for £300. I'll get it back on the road, only it won't look as pretty.

One owner from new. 16 years. Perfect body and engine.

I come along.

Three weeks later.

I'm jinxed. This happened with my last BX!

Stay away! I'm cursed!
"I'm not into art, I'm just a gun for hire" - Helmut Newton

Post by tim leech »

Run away hes cursed!
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

Back ! Back ! Save yourselves!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Too late, my BX estate has run out of LHM :cry:
Vauxhall apologist.
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Get thee to Halfords! It's your only chance!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Haven`t got a Platinum American Excess card so will be avoiding Halfrauds! Off to Europarts tomorrow for LHM closely followed by a trip to the local Citroen dealer for some other, much needed bits. Then, all being well, at the weekend it`s time for BX club Chester to get going again.
Target? Fix colossal LHM leak and fit exhaust on estate and play with the BX 1.9TD.
Don`t let that fool you into thinking I`ve been on a mechanic`s course, I`m expecting company in the form of ???????? :D
Vauxhall apologist.
artic-steel

Post by artic-steel »

I'm up for it, the only problem is i know sod all about BX's
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Is that me by any chance then billy. :lol: :lol: :lol: See you saturday the more the merrier
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Bugger i've got to get the range rover out this weekend for a trip to Lincoln with the 2cv.

Single figure MPG.... :cry:
Over and out from me
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Well Phil aka BackinaBX popped in to look at the bumper he needed.

He arrived in a F**d Mundane :oops: but observing BX etiquette parked it some way down the road, got out and wiped his feet discreetly before entering the driveway :lol:

Not too much later he left with a nice Hurricane tailgate, bumper, tail light clusters and a smug look on his face :wink:

Together we found a reason for the Mundane to exist :twisted: ..... with a bit of manoevering tailgate, bumper and lights were reluctantly fitted into the boot (rear seats flat of course) 8)
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Good work ed4f
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

Indeed. My soon to be new rear end not only has a new bumper, but a tailgate with a hurricane spoiler (a straight diesel, with added down force no less) and, according to the boot tag, ABS! I might take that off... don't want to give anyone ideas that this BX can stop without skidding.

Ed4f - I might even have some other bits if you're still willing to let me have them... might be tempted with that front bumper with the valence, and maybe the gti pod with the holy grail temp gauge...

Good thing I didn't bring the Saab over. All of that wouldn't of gone in the boot.

The F***d Mundane - there is a reason.
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

No problem Phil.......provided you come BackinaBX =D> rather than the Fraud [-X

Gti pod is earmarked for my TXD unfortunately :roll:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

OK, it's a deal. I thought that the GTi pod might be already spoken for... ah well... the search continues.

I'll give you a ring when I've got my car back from the body shop.