Battle scarred BX and C4

Anything about BXs
deltic
BXpert

Battle scarred BX and C4

Post by deltic »

Apologies for the tale of woe but referendum day will be memorable for us for than one reason – “BXexit” perhaps?

We went off to vote before work only to return to find the driver’s door of the BX crumpled – we were only gone 10 minutes! Shame because that side of the car was almost presentable, although I reckon the damage should pull out fairly easily. Now it matches the crumpled driver’s door of the C4 which was also damaged by persons unknown. Bastards!

Sadly worse was to come as Laura was then involved in a three car accident on the way to work in the C4 leaving her and another person (one of her colleagues actually) with whiplash in A&E at the hospital she works at. I managed to recover and get the C4 home in the middle yesterday evening’s torrential downpour. There’s lots of broken plastic and at the very least it will need a new front bumper and possibly a bonnet. I can’t help but think that had it been the BX that it would actually have been easier to repair in this instance.

Getting more to the point of this message, my insurers are already saying £2000 for repairs which would mean a write off. A couple of minutes on the internet has already found a bonnet and bumper for less than 10% of that and in my opinion the repairs should be pretty straightforward, almost even by me. Can anyone suggest anyone reasonable garage in Kent to do the repairs? PM me if you have any suggestions.

So the BX is now back in front line service once again and after a month of standing idle rose to the occasion to rescue the damsel and her wounded steed.

By the way if anyone needs any “Police Aware” tape let me know…
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 137,000 miles (2015, 2017 & 2019 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 92,000 miles (2022 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
2006 C4 VTR+ 2.0 Coupé, silver, 78,000 miles (RIP)
2016 Volvo V40 T2 R-Design Pro, blue, 24,000 miles
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Re: Battle scarred BX and C4

Post by Philip Chidlow »

So sorry to hear that. I hope Laura recovers fully soon and isn't in too much discomfort.

I imagine you'll need a door for the BX too?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

You need to take a good look at what's underneath, if its the front end that's damaged you need to checking for radiators, intercoolers and the like.

They will want to write it off as it will go on what a professional bodyshop wants to fix it, using genuine parts and charging £35 an hour plus VAT.

I guess it depends on how attached to the car you are and what the insurance will pay out. If you can negotiate a deal which includes salvage (as I did with my mums car) and you can repair it yourself using used panels (the same colour if poss to save expensive paintwork) it could be quite viable and you end up in pocked, it all depends on how bad the damage is, plastic cover panels can hide a multitude of woes.

Rutter has some silver doors for the BX
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
deltic
BXpert

Post by deltic »

Philip Chidlow wrote:So sorry to hear that. I hope Laura recovers fully soon and isn't in too much discomfort.

I imagine you'll need a door for the BX too?
Thanks Phil, she seems OK, perhaps a little spaced out... so let's hope she doesn't shunt the BX too!

I think the door could pull out, thank fully there's no paint damage.
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 137,000 miles (2015, 2017 & 2019 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
deltic
BXpert

Post by deltic »

Tim Leech wrote:You need to take a good look at what's underneath, if its the front end that's damaged you need to checking for radiators, intercoolers and the like.

They will want to write it off as it will go on what a professional bodyshop wants to fix it, using genuine parts and charging £35 an hour plus VAT.

I guess it depends on how attached to the car you are and what the insurance will pay out. If you can negotiate a deal which includes salvage (as I did with my mums car) and you can repair it yourself using used panels (the same colour if poss to save expensive paintwork) it could be quite viable and you end up in pocked, it all depends on how bad the damage is, plastic cover panels can hide a multitude of woes.

From what I could see in the pouring rain there's no mechanical damage and Laura was quick to reassure me that there were no fluid leaks. The car drove perfectly fine last night after I'd taped it back together.

From a condition point of view the car is the best I've ever owned, is low mileage and has just had a cambelt change, so I'm loathe to write it off and frankly I just don't want the hassle of trying to find something else at the moment. Fortunately being a silver car it's a common colour so panels should be easier to find.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

deltic wrote:
Tim Leech wrote:You need to take a good look at what's underneath, if its the front end that's damaged you need to checking for radiators, intercoolers and the like.

From what I could see in the pouring rain there's no mechanical damage and Laura was quick to reassure me that there were no fluid leaks. The car drove perfectly fine last night after I'd taped it back together.

From a condition point of view the car is the best I've ever owned, is low mileage and has just had a cambelt change, so I'm loathe to write it off and frankly I just don't want the hassle of trying to find something else at the moment. Fortunately being a silver car it's a common colour so panels should be easier to find.
In that's case I would try and find a silver C4 (probably the most common colour for one) that's being broken, obviously wait for the insurance company to come back with an offer, what year is the car/miles?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
deltic
BXpert

Post by deltic »

44000 miles, 2006.
Richb
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Richb »

Ive done a couple of insurance jobs using second hand panels and parts. The insurers sulk like mad and make stupid offers. Independent bodyshops can and will do that kind of work. I did a corolla that had a quote of £1960 to repaor and it cost me £300 inc paint. Stuck £200 for labour and 2 days later the car was on the road. The alternative is to get it written off on condition you buy it back but they may want stupid money for it.
2001 Peugeot 206 2.0 Hdi
1999 Peugeot Expert Van
1993 Citroen BX 1.9TXD
1992 Citroen BX 1.9TXD
1980 Triumph TR8
1972 Triumph Stag
1967 Triumph GT6
deltic
BXpert

Post by deltic »

The C4 is now with Barry at Bourne for repairs.

But more woes as the BX is now on a recovery truck back home (at 23.15!) as it's leaking coolant. Leaking from one of the bleed screws or whatever it mounts into according to the RAC man. Thankfully Laura had just left work and stopped as soon as the low coolant level light came on. I've plenty of coolant in the car, bought in Andorra when the BX decided to boil over on last year's Challenge, however I thought it best that the car was rescued. I think this is the first time I can remember having to recover the BX in 13 years.

Bus for Laura tomorrow...