Oil level gauge

BX Tech talk
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Oil level gauge

Post by Jaba »

A recent posting on this subject has awakened my interest in these as I fitted a GTi dash to my TD a long while ago complete with an oil pressure sender.
But the oil level gauge has never worked. It lights up at power on but stays on zero until the control unit switches over to the pressure reading.

Having a look at the dashboard wiring for the GTi and TD I notice that different connections on the dash are used and I presume this is why it does not show the level.

So before I start messing with the electrics can anyone who has done this dash conversion, usually to get a temperature gauge, confirm or deny that their oil level gauge does not indicate the level either ??
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Re: Oil level gauge

Post by RobC »

There may not be the wiring in the loom ready for the level sender (which is located to the rear of the engine and has *two* wires). Have you fitted a sender to your engine?
1991 Citroen BX 16v
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

The oil level only gauge worked OK with the original TD dash, hence my post.....
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Hmmm, I did the very same as you did (i.e. fitted GTi instruments to a TD) but my level gauge works fine. What I did (back in 2004!) was transfer the two side gauges over to the TD binnacle, keeping my original speedo and rev counter and giving me the 3 extra gauges. The water temperature gauge used the existing wire from the yellow warning lamp, and I added two new wires for the oil pressure and temperature senders. Unfortunately I can't remember which terminals I used, but I left all the existing wires in the same positions, which makes your problem all the more puzzling!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

@ Mat.... So your level gauge works. I suppose it should as you retained the TD setup. I do have the oil temperature and pressure working as well as coolant temp so I will have to have a look at mine when I have the dash out next. I am pretty sure that I swapped in the rev counter and speedo from the TD into the GTi binnacle.
Not really an urgent thing though to be honest. Perhaps I will swap out the sump level sensor first.

Anyone else got theirs working ??