BX Tech talk
Pluto
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1992 BX19TGD ESTATE 178k
2014 Fiat Ducato Sportivo

VERY leaky door seal

Post by Pluto »

Hi all, bit of an odd one this!

I recently noticed that the carpet (or more specifically the sound deadning layer underneath) in the front passenger footwell was absolutely soaking wet.
I can see exactly where the water is coming in, it seems to be escaping over the top of the door seal rubber just underneath where the door speaker is. The rubber itself is in perfect condition with no splits or cuts and there is no sign of it starting to perish so I can't work out how water is getting past it.

To confuse things further, it never leaks from rain fall, no matter how heavy. But every time I wash the car (with a very low pressure hose - like a shower) it absolutely pours in even if I'm not directing the hose at the seal. I'm a bit stumped!

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatfully received! I have tried removing the seal, cleaning it up and refitting a couple times but it hasn't helped!
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: VERY leaky door seal

Post by rutter123 »

I think your sunroof drain tubes may be blocked and your headlining is filling with water hence the wet floor, the bx sunroof is designed to let in water and the water should drain away through the 4 drain tubes which are located on each corner of the headlining, these block with crud/silt and the water has nowhere to go apart from inside the car usually soaking the front/rear footwells and under the rear seat. Easily access to the drain tubes via removal of the rear light clusters and the a-pillar inner lower trim panels-clear tube carefully pull it thru and blow through it with an airline, you may need a pair of long nose pliers to grab it, they are not fixed at the bottom so you should be able to pull them out enough, bit fiddly but easy enough.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Pluto
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Pluto »

Sorry I forgot to mention that my car doesn't have a sunroof. That's what is making this even more confusing. Its definitely coming in over the door seal under the speaker as I can actually see it pouring in when I'm washing it. Driver side is fine and I can't see anything different between the two door seals.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Hi pluto i DO have a passenger side door seal if you need it, but there is a possibility that water could be coming in from the bulkhead into the footwell, might be worth removing the screemwash reservoirs to see if the bulkhead has rusted through underneath them, this is quite common rust spot on bx's and water runs down inside behind the fusebox into the footwell. If you have no sunroof this would be the second suspect area, i have just welded both sides on my estate as it was quite rusty under both reservoirs. 3rd option could be a rusty windscreen scuttle panel which would also let water inside the car.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

For those who appear to have misread his post , he does know where it's leaking he just needs to know why, I would suggest that the outer edge of the door seal is definitely not sealing against the door somewhere allowing water to run into the centre channel of the seal and then over the inner lip into the car. Either door alignment or the seal is weak.

Pluto wrote: I can see exactly where the water is coming in, it seems to be escaping over the top of the door seal rubber just underneath where the door speaker is.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Would it be worth trying to pack out the hollow section of the door seal?
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Gary
BXpert

Post by Gary »

Have you taken the speaker cover off and taken the speaker out to make sure the water isn't getting past the inner membrane that's stuck to the door and creeping down inside the door card and then onto the seal .
1992 BX GTi Hurricane x2
1991 BX Meteor 1.9d
1993 BX TXD Turbo, Ice blue
1987 Visa GTi
Pluto
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Pluto »

I have had the whole door card off just to double check it wasn't coming from the membrane and it's all good. I assumed it may have been the seal so I actually gave the contacting face of the seal a light covering of red grease and then shut the door. The grease transfered onto the door all the way round with no gaps. This showed that the seal was making contact everywhere, so I then thought it must be coming from somewhere else.
Maybe 'just making contact' isn't enough. It's very surprising just how fast the water comes in when washing the car. It's like pouring water from a jug! Yet when it's sat out in the rain (even torrential) it doesn't visibly leak at all!

Ive got a replacement door seal on its way, so I'll try that and see what happens!! Fingers crossed as this is just getting annoying now
Pluto
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Pluto »

mds141 wrote:Would it be worth trying to pack out the hollow section of the door seal?
That could work, not sure what I could use to do this though?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You could thread some (compressible) tubing into the seal; or alternatively a new seal is only a few quid per metre. Woolies seem to be good value.

As an aside, they can also leak when water drains into the U section of the seal at the top and tracks round to the bottom, resulting in a wet carpet below the door with no visible leak!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad