Rear Suspension Cylinder - Disconnected Pipe

BX Tech talk
BXTASY
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1988 BX 1.9 GTI

Rear Suspension Cylinder - Disconnected Pipe

Post by BXTASY »

While working on the right rear suspension of my ’88 GTI, I noticed two tubes attached to the lower (forward) part of the suspension cylinder. I learned from related posts that these are low pressure return lines to the reservoir. They both lead outboard from the cylinder and up above the tubular suspension mount (rear beam?), but one is disconnected from somewhere above the suspension, out of sight. I can’t see where this line is attached above the left suspension cylinder to help me determine where it goes. If the two lines have a rubber Y connector (per rutter123’s post), then it’s broken - a piece of rubber is attached to the end of the disconnected pipe. The fluid color in the line looks like low-viscosity engine oil, not very green.

I don’t see this part on the graphic I have of the suspension parts list, although it depicts the two connections on the gaiter/bellows. Where do these lines attach? Somewhere near the height corrector? And where are they located enroute to the front? Along the right side beneath the doors?

The “BX Project” has been mentioned as a resource. What is the URL?

Thanks, y’all.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Rear Suspension Cylinder - Disconnected Pipe

Post by rutter123 »

1 is a low pressure return pipe which will connect to a y piece somewhere abouts the rear beam, the other is purely a breather and just tucks in to a hole in the strut mount on the beam just to front of suspension arm. Both sides should be same so take a look at the other side (suspension cylinder) for some guidance.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Rear Suspension Cylinder - Disconnected Pipe

Post by Way2go »

BXTASY wrote: The “BX Project” has been mentioned as a resource. What is the URL?

Thanks, y’all.
http://www.bxproject.co.uk
1991 BX19GTi Auto