Battered Old Shed - Disposal

Anything about BXs
Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Battered Old Shed - Disposal

Post by Stuarted »

Before I post on the Sale / Wanted section, I would appreciate advice / comment / suggestions here from you folks, please!

For the last year or so I have owned K416BNE, a battered old 19TXD estate (my third one) with 240k miles on the clock. It is taxed, insured & MOTd until April 2017 but has sprung a major hydraulic leak which will probably cost several £100 to get fixed. It is a shed (albeit still structurally sound and with a reasonably civilised interior), I have already spent far more on it (new clutch etc.) than it deserves, and I now just want rid.

I could get £20 or so if the scrapyard came and collected it, but I don't want to just scrap it, in case it (or any of the various spare bits) might be useful to members here. I don't want / haven't got space/time / couldn't be bothered to break it, so my other choices are EITHER to offer it to anyone willing to take it (and the spare bits ) - all of it - away for, say £50(?) OR to spend whatever it costs to get the leak fixed and then sell it as a runner with 5 months MOT - but how certain can I be that I would readily be able to sell it for enough to match the scrap value + the cost of repair (say £250~£350)?
Dragon Man
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen Dispatch 2.0L HDi 2005
Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley 1991

Re: Battered Old Shed - Disposal

Post by Dragon Man »

hmm tough call,
the first thing i would do is check just what has caused the leak.
if its that damned octopus you could bypass each of its 3 sections using fish tank air line Y splitters and zip ties to hold the pipes onto it. it should work temporary so it can be driven to its new home.

if its an actual high pressure pipe that has gone then they are not that expensive to replace, the longest one only cost £20 with the unions, flares and new seals.

if it was this time last year i would have been quite tempted at this.

also where are you based? maybe theres a BX guy local?

i work in a scrap yard and believe me, anything is better than scrap value at the moment.
- JohnDragonMan

Drives: Citroen Dispatch with retrofitted air conditioning 8)
Classic Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley named Talon (long term storage)

always buy base spec. that way you have the fun of putting all the cool bit on your vehicle :mrgreen:
Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stuarted »

[quotei work in a scrap yard and believe me, anything is better than scrap value at the moment.][/quote]

Thanks - that information alone is useful.

I live in Hereford City (Welsh borders) and have a tame local workshop who are very reasonable & ace at fixing Citroens. That's how I know what it's likely to cost to get it fixed. So:

- Scrap?
- Sell as non-runner but fixable & with 5 months MOT (if I can!)?
- Get it fixed & sell as a running, MOTd car (but how quickly, and for how much?)?

It's too tatty to be a worthwhile restoration project but BXs are getting rare and have lots of very devoted fans so I am reluctant just to throw it away.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Scrap is about £45 currently
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
callyy_f
My Cars: Got one

Post by callyy_f »

no longer required
Last edited by callyy_f on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Estates are getting thinner on the ground, so an potential to save one is worthwhile.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I would get a proper diagnosis and costing before deciding what to do. The resale price is likely to be a good bit more than the repair cost and you could then save another BX from the scrappers.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stuarted »

"I would get a proper diagnosis and costing before deciding what to do. The resale price is likely to be a good bit more than the repair cost and you could then save another BX from the scrappers."

Already diagnosed it & have rough idea of repair cost. Would love someone to save it - so how much is it worth if fixed and how quickly or easily is it likely to sell? (details as per my OP above).

Need to certain of swiftly finding someone willing to put their cash where their mouth is!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Personally I think the mileage and the fact it'll likely need a respray means your chances of making money on it are very slim. What's a mint, low miles TXD estate worth? A grand? £1500 tops? You'll spend more than that on a decent-quality paint job.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stuarted »

Certainly not worth a respray! The paint is reasonable, but the panels underneath it need ironing.

No, it's not worth anyone spending big money on. It might be worth something to anyone who has the time and space to break it for spares, or it might serve someone as a scruffy but dead cheap workhorse for a short while, since it is still structurally sound at present (no dangerous or expensive rust) and has an MOT until April.

I don't expect to 'make money'. I just want to avoid scrapping something that someone else might want, but on the other hand I don't want to throw good money after bad by wasting money getting it fixed and then not being able to sell it for enough to cover the cost of the repairs - or even not being able to sell it at all! In that case, I may as well have just scrapped it.

Meanwhile it is cluttering up my driveway and (to the probable annoyance of my neighbours) making the place look untidy.

Come on guys, be charitable and help me, by offering a poor old knackered BX estate a graceful retirement.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

You're best off sticking it on eBay really. Everyone on here already has a BX (or more)!

Could also try the CCC or BX Facebook pages, as they've got a bigger audience than this place.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

I've just saved another estate so can't help as I have two now - but may need parts if you do want to sell any spares separately...

Worth tying Autoshite... too... lots of love for BX's etc there.. They have a Facebook page too for selling cars..
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stuarted »

Certainly not worth a respray! The paint is reasonable, but the panels underneath it need ironing.

No, it's not worth anyone spending big money on. It might be worth something to anyone who has the time and space to break it for spares, or it might serve someone as a scruffy but dead cheap workhorse for a short while, since it is still structurally sound at present (no dangerous or expensive rust) and has an MOT until April.

I don't expect to 'make money'. I just want to avoid scrapping something that someone else might want, but on the other hand I don't want to throw good money after bad by wasting money getting it fixed and then not being able to sell it for enough to cover the cost of the repairs - or even not being able to sell it at all! In that case, I may as well have just scrapped it.

Meanwhile it is cluttering up my driveway and (to the probable annoyance of my neighbours) making the place look untidy.

Come on guys, be charitable and help me, by offering a poor old knackered BX estate a graceful retirement.