Front brake disk air deflectors

BX Tech talk
pwykes
Confirmed BX'er

Front brake disk air deflectors

Post by pwykes »

Hi Chaps,

Over the years i have patched these up but they are now coming to end of life. My question is can i just break them off and throw them away as these flow diverter's are not seen on braking systems on other cars.

Cheers phil
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: Front brake disk air deflectors

Post by Kitch »

Half the cars out there have probably lost them anyway! They were only plastic on some mk2s, break off quite frequently
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I wonder if they were deemed necessary/desirable because the BX often has unvented wheels? Certainly more modern designs of alloys are a lot more open. Also, the viscosity of LHM seems to vary more with temperature than conventional brake fluid, so I wonder if this is another factor.

However, you may not drive it to the extremes to which it was designed for, and I've certainly never noticed a difference during several thousand miles of driving without. Mine are fortunately OK at the moment but I always used to grab a set from the scrapyard when BXs were always present. Down to my last one now :(

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

In my case it's the metal brackets that have rusted away the plastic deflectors are pretty intact.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I have always regarded them as there to help reduce the brake fade that unvented discs on BXs are prone too when the brakes are used repeatedly.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
pwykes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pwykes »

Thanks for the replies,
I think they are unnecessary but the points made about brake efficiency are very important and to discard them would be altering the spec of the car. In the event of an accident and investigation i am sure that the insurance would use this as a tool not to pay out. Made the bracket assembly out of 1.6mm steel plate and welded. The air deflector was formed out of 1.6mm aluminium plate and pop riveted to the steel. I just hate undoing them caliper bolts.
Thanks Phil
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

pwykes wrote:Thanks for the replies,
I think they are unnecessary but the points made about brake efficiency are very important and to discard them would be altering the spec of the car. In the event of an accident and investigation i am sure that the insurance would use this as a tool not to pay out.
Don't suppose you've got a tin-foil had going spare? :wink:

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

pwykes wrote:Thanks for the replies,
I think they are unnecessary but the points made about brake efficiency are very important and to discard them would be altering the spec of the car. In the event of an accident and investigation i am sure that the insurance would use this as a tool not to pay out. Made the bracket assembly out of 1.6mm steel plate and welded. The air deflector was formed out of 1.6mm aluminium plate and pop riveted to the steel. I just hate undoing them caliper bolts.
Thanks Phil

No insurance company could use this as a tool not to pay out, to do so they would need to prove positively that any accident was caused purely by this fault which they could not do.
One could argue that in wet weather they actually decrease brake efficiency by directing water into the brakes that the back plates are designed to keep out.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

They really wouldn't give a shit. If you pranged a BX it would go to the bodyshop, get put in the corner of the yard with the completely totalled stuff, the assessor would walk round, see the age, check the VIN and write 'T/L' (total loss) on the windscreen. They you'd see if you could buy it back as salvage, or let it go to the scrappy. That's as far as they get. They wouldn't want to fix it, regardless of cost, because fixing old cars is a complete PITA for normal insurance companies.

They wouldn't fight or try to wriggle out of anything, because they don't have the knowledge of every single detail on every single model of car. If it was something obvious, like a V8 engine in the back and the thing had been space-framed, then maybe it'd be a different story, but for something small on a BX, they really wouldn't give a shit. They'd have to spend days inspecting it and comparing with other cars to even figure out it was supposed to have an air deflector there.
They pay the engineers quite a lot of money, and with the value of BXs they'd probably lose money by allowing the engineer to research every last knook and cranny to get out of what may well be only a £1000 payout.

So, please don't worry about the deflector :)

rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Nuff said Kitch.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery