1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Twin Carbs

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Hello all, I have always fancied in the long run (as in in the next 5 years or so) putting BX Sport twin carbs and associated inlet manifold and air filter box etc onto my GT. In my head they are the same eng9one, with a slightly different cam, slightly improved cylinder head and of course the carbs.

Now my question is, will the inlet manifold for the twin solex's fit straight onto my GT's head? With the correct gasket of course. I ask as an opportunity has arisen to buy all the needed kit, bar the throttle cable! It's not cheap, but when will the next opportunity to get a good condition, working job lotI am quite excited, really like the idea of a twin carb'd GT.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Twin Carbs

Post by Tim Leech »

I've been told that the twin carbs foul the set up for Rhd, so a non starter.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Tim Leech wrote:I've been told that the twin carbs foul the set up for Rhd, so a non starter.
You've been told wrong there. :wink:

It's doable, of course it is. I've got motorbike carbs on the Saxo engine in the back of my Imp. It's just a case of how much effort you want to put in.

Should you do it? For me, no way. It'd ruin it. Twin carbs suit heavy-breathing tuned engines, and the GT is a quiet, wafty tourer.

The Sport didn't just have the twin carbs over the GT. Aside from the fact it actually looks sporty, it had shorter gearing, different cam, was slightly stiffer and even things like the front seats and look of the dash make it stand out as being more sporty. It's be a sensory mess in a GT, IMO :lol:

I did have thoughts about twin-carbing a 16v engine fitted to a GT, and fitting GTI seats, GTi Speedlines, 205 GTi gearbox etc. In fact, it was a Digit I thought about doing it to. A Digit-Sport 16v :lol:

Glad I never did it, it would have been shoite :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
callyy_f
My Cars: Got one

Post by callyy_f »

I would love to see something like this, but I can't imagine how thirsty it'd be. I love the "BWAAAARRRR" sound carbs make when you plant your foot. Do bear in mind the OP asked if it was possible, not that if it was tasteful...
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Definitely possible, definitely not something he should do lol
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Kitch wrote:
Tim Leech wrote:I've been told that the twin carbs foul the set up for Rhd, so a non starter.
You've been told wrong there. :wink:

:
I was referring to the standard sport carbs etc, anything can be made to fit! :wink:

Quite agree the GT is a great cruiser, and mine really flies now the carb has been rebuilt and is still quite frugal.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

I think the issues with the fit on RHD cars was the exhaust manifold fouling the steering rack etc, from my research the carbs should just bolt on - fuel pump might need changing and some of the piping of course. Im put off now, I will want more power from it in the future - I can tell. But perhaps I should get the rest of the car all properly up together before trying to upgrade/improve the engine, the only reason I considered the carbs now is that they were available compete with all the kit.
Shoot me down now, but I love the idea of a turbocharged GT - not sure how feasible it is, especially on a carb engine, and I know a TCT would be difficult to plumb in. But for now I just need to get the car up to a good standard, standard.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid