Bits and pieces...

BX Tech talk
BackinaBX
BXpert

Bits and pieces...

Post by BackinaBX »

OK chaps... here's a new one for you.

Just got my car back from the garage, where I have two splendid new rear arm bearings, and a bit of rudimentary panel beating to get that nasty dent out.

Now, here are a few things...

New lights on the back. Indicators, good, Brake lights good. Tail / Night running lights (i.e. red ones on all the time when the headlamps are on). Nothing. Number plate lights - nothing.

Any thoughts? And before you get all smart... yes, I've checked the bulbs, and they're good. Is there a switch or a relay for the rear lighting that could have been damaged in the prang?

Second. I need to re-fit this tailgate... but need to clear it all of electrics. Am I right in thinking that everything just unplugs from the numberplate lamps, wiper motor, heated rear screen? for the sake of time I just cut the wires on the new tailgate to get it off... but plan to use the existing electrics when I fit it.

Nearly there!

I've enough left in my budget for 4 new tyres - they're all pretty old and getting low - The book says 165/70/R14... any idea what speed rating I should go for? Remembering that I've got a whole 72BHP and a n/a diesel. Any recommendations as to make? (Nice and cheap please)

All information is appreciated.
"I'm not into art, I'm just a gun for hire" - Helmut Newton
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

AFAIK it seems normal practice with the citroens to disconnect all wiring inside the tailgate/door or whatever but I remember doing some work on an estate and finding that the wires appeared to be buried in filler or something similar? perhaps this was a bodge? from memory your missing tail lamps dont share a fuse? have you checked the wiring under the boot mat?
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
BackinaBX
BXpert

Update - I'm a tit.

Post by BackinaBX »

Update.

To think that I also trained as an electrician. Mantra. Start at the source of the problem and work your way back to the main board.

Of course the first thing to do is check all the plugs. :arrow:

Plug in big plug.

Works.

I feel like a tit. :roll:

Other questions still stand though...
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

One of the greatest qualities a person can have is admitting they're a tit :lol:

You have my utmost respect!!
Over and out from me
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

Thank you kind sir... thank you. Here was me under the dash checking the fuses... scratching my head.

Then I thought... PLUGS! Yes, one was loose in the socket.

Anyway...

Electrics. Tyres. Show me the way chaps!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I have found Firestone Fuel Savers give improved grip over the cheapo Ching Chong tyres I had previously. They cost me £25 but it seems like tyre prices have shot up recently - when I changed to 16 valve wheels I got a set of 195 Firestones for £140 all in but now I was charged £64 for one, albeit a different garage (who bent my sill seam but that's another story...)

I'm sure everybody has their own (different!) preferences so this may leave you with more decisions!
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

For 165 tyres I'd go Michelin if at all possible, though appreciate they're not cheap. Offers are the best route. AFAIR Klebers are budget Michelins (made in Romania?) and I've heard tell they're popular with frugal French BX owners. They certainly are tough-wearing.

I'd avoid Far-Eastern budget rubber like the plague - I once found myself skidding on a set of Road Chumps at less than 20 mph in a vaguely damp supermarket carpark.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.