Wheel alignment tools

Anything about BXs
shogun

Wheel alignment tools

Post by shogun »

Hi,I have problems to align camber & caster from my BX ,nowadays few mechanics know how to do it. They do not know how to regulate front steeering tie rod ,as the crossmember does not allow a free space to operate a hand tool and work freely . Need to find where to buy special tools to do it,or if any member can help how to proceed. Thanks
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Wheel alignment tools

Post by rutter123 »

I wasn't aware there is adjustment to camber on a BX, not something I've had a problem with unless your bushes or ball joints are shot.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
shogun

Post by shogun »

I went to an alignment workshop and on the showed the camber & casterout of tolerance range,
Noticed that only front right tire has an exterior side tread wear .and read that is a camber issue
I always check inflation pressure and use the tyre with 30psi
can help me how to solve this issue adjust the caster?
Tks
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

There is no adjustment for camber or caster only toe in and toe out. A damaged subframe can affect the angles.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
shogun

Post by shogun »

Thanks Jaba
Oh, I see,so the sub frame or crossmember could have been hit hard sometime before

After repairing or replacing the suframe ...How to Achieve of the correct toe-in or out,are there any graphics available in how to do it?
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Not only can you not adjust the camber or castor, they're deliberately set to favour LHD-cambered roads! Think it was 0.5 on one side, and 1.5 on the other on my 16v and one of the others I've taken down there. They were both pretty much the same.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
shogun

Post by shogun »

Thanks friends
Any further suggestions about are very welcomed

Really need to solve this issue
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

I can't understand why your garage is having problems.

Camber issues will either be down to physical damage, worn bushes or poor quality pattern parts that are out of spec.

Setting toe is as straight forward as any other car. The only times you should run into problems is if your steering wheel has been removed and replaced and your mechanic is assuming the steering wheel is a correct centre (I've had that).

They should always be set with the suspension at standard ride height, if your mechanic is doing it any other way I'd suggest he places his spanner on the floor and slowly step away from it.

Hth
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

I was going to suggest (as Jay just did) to make sure it's at normal height. Doing it on full height will end up with it toeing in fairly badly.

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

shogun wrote:I went to an alignment workshop and on the showed the camber & casterout of tolerance range,
How do they know the Citroen tolerance range?
shogun wrote:Noticed that only front right tire has an exterior side tread wear .and read that is a camber issue
Has it done this on more than one tyre, it can often be a poor quality tyre that is the fault?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
shogun

Post by shogun »

Hi Defender,
The Alignment computer database has all car makes and models,so when the sensors are connected on the 4 wheels the screen shows a value in green if it´s OK,and in red if it´s out of range according to the machine database.
The thing is that to place the sensors on wheels the car must be on full height
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

shogun wrote: The thing is that to place the sensors on wheels the car must be on full height
Not on all setups, just the ones that you can't do BXs on :wink:

The guy I use has a rig that sits just underneath the rear arch lip when on normal height. Having it on high would throw everything out of alignment.

shogun

Post by shogun »

Yes I think Kitch is right and that would be the best option rather than computerized alignmet,as up to now any workshop have been able to setup the correct alignment to my BX
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

I wouldn't expect the camber and caster angles to be exact on a car that is 20-30 years old, i'm sure a degree or two of tolerance really wont make that much difference. if one tyre is wearing on the outside edge I would more expect it to be a tracking issue or as /\ says a poor quality tyre, other things to consider as /\ worn wishbone bushes or even incorrect ones, worn bottom ball joints which is quite common or even a worn steering rack. Personally I would get the tracking set first and see where you go from there. Are the bolts tight between strut and hub carrier? Are your brakes pulling up evenly? Are there any signs of impact? Is the front subframe in good condition as these can rust through and I have seen some pretty shabby repairs done in the past. Are your drop links both the same length as pattern/replacements do differ in length by up to an inch in some cases? Are your tyres even the correct size? I find mine fitted with 185/60/14's do wear slightly more on the outside edges even tho the tracking is correct, but this is academic as I put it down to being driven hard, the wear difference from outside edge to inside edge is prob less than 1mm so i'm really not that worried as its been like this for 10 years and 4 tyre changes.
My guess is your garage is trying to make you pay for something you don't need.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

shogun wrote:Yes I think Kitch is right and that would be the best option rather than computerized alignmet,as up to now any workshop have been able to setup the correct alignment to my BX
There are computerised systems that can work with the BX, just not all. The guy we use at work has the latest Supertracker system, and that did my 16v.

If the tyres are wearing on the outside edge, it's toeing in too much, which is what I'd expect it to do if the tracking had been set with the suspension on high.