Electrical Gremlins. (More)

BX Tech talk
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Electrical Gremlins. (More)

Post by Jaba »

The starter switch on the ignition barrel has been getting troublesome on my Hurricane and having tried several different fixes I decided to fit a push button switch to bypass all the circuitry. Success was achieved but now the damned ABS light always comes on every time after using the pushbutton.
I have left the original starter circuit connected as well and when this is used no ABS light appears. So I deduce that it is not an ABS fault but due to some current leakage upsetting the ECU somehow. Ideas anyone ??
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Electrical Gremlins. (More)

Post by rutter123 »

Jaba I have a s/h ign barrel with key its a little worn but usable and works fine with all wiring intact if you need.

My electrical fault finding is rubbish so cant help you out on that.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Post by jamescarruthers »

You could add a relay into the system. Here is a link to some clear instructions on how to do it from the XM club. I also carried this out on my Volvo 480 and it has cured it's click-click-click start system. http://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... =13&t=3623

I presume that Citroen didn't put a relay in the BX either and that your ignition switches are eventually going to burn out.

I don't often do much in the way of electrics but I found this pretty straight forward. Good luck.
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

jamescarruthers wrote:You could add a relay into the system. Here is a link to some clear instructions on how to do it from the XM club. I also carried this out on my Volvo 480 and it has cured it's click-click-click start system. http://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... =13&t=3623

I presume that Citroen didn't put a relay in the BX either and that your ignition switches are eventually going to burn out.

I don't often do much in the way of electrics but I found this pretty straight forward. Good luck.
Well I considered fitting a relay but decided a pushbutton was a simpler and just as effective solution. But I did not expect an ABS warning light problem. My current plan is to add a blocking diode to see if its a back EMF issue.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

rutter123 wrote:Jaba I have a s/h ign barrel with key its a little worn but usable and works fine with all wiring intact if you need.

My electrical fault finding is rubbish so cant help you out on that.
Thanks Cliff but I too have spares. The switchgear part of the barrel can be changed without the need to install a new barrel with a different key and I have done this already as well as fitted two new starter motors. I like the pushbutton though. It reminds me of an old Jag I had once which had the same system as standard.