Mk1 Speaker Upgrade

Anything about BXs
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Mk1 Speaker Upgrade

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi guys

With the challenge lookming, in the GT I need to upgrade the ICE, I've bought a cd radio iPod head unit to fit but the original speakers are feable and tired.

It has the two small dashtop tweeters and the bass speaker underneath (which is also tired and buzzes at any volume)

I'm not willing to start cutting holes in the doorcards so if there a replacement available for the existing apertures that will give a decent sound, I'm not after pumping bass but can't manage 10 days with the original set up!

Thanks
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Re: Mk1 Speaker Upgrade

Post by saintjamesy89 »

If you know the size of the originals Tim there are a wide range of new speakers that will probably fit, I have replaced several factory fitted crappy paper speakers in my cars over the years with new and improved direct-fit ones. One thing to watch out for thought is the depth of the new speaker, they'll probably be deeper (with bigger magnets etc).

I will hopefully be doing this with my GT before the challenge too, but won't be doing anything until after 19th May as I have exams to study for! Does yours have rear speakers Tim? I seem to remember grilles on the plastic trim by the opera windows.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi Tom

When I bought it there were some nasty aftermarket Ines just screwed to the rear shelf which again were shot and looked awful so they got binned. The rear covers in the back are just blank in mine.

Do the front speaker covers in the dash just pop off??
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Ah, I've never investigated what lies beneath, i'm sure there is a speaker out there that'll fit. IIRC Alpine do some of the more quirky sizes and I've been impressed by their quality before.

The top speaker grilles just un-clip I think, never looked at the bottom ones in the GT as ever since its been back on the road the radio hasn't ever worked! Must get that sorted too before the challenge, so many jobs. I have two weeks after my last exam to get the GT challenge ready,which is mostly fiddly bits so shouldn't be too much of an issue if I pull my finger out. Just a shame there are only two paydays between now and then...
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

The ones in my current Meteor door cards are shot, never had worse, yet a decent Sony rad/CD etc. Would be interested if any straight swap options for the cards. Stil have the option of fitting those from a donor, but newer I'm sure would be better,
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

New radio in, single loud speaker removed from under the dash, it's very tired and buzzing like mad. Strangely there's 4 connections and 4 wires going to it!

Doubt I'll find one like that In a hurry.

The tweeters are also quite crackly too so I'll be replacing all three.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Tinkley wrote:The ones in my current Meteor door cards are shot, never had worse, yet a decent Sony rad/CD etc. Would be interested if any straight swap options for the cards. Stil have the option of fitting those from a donor, but newer I'm sure would be better,

Loads of options, it's just a 13cm co-axial speaker (or a component if you've got the separate tweeter setup).

If it is co-axial, just make sure the tweeter doesn't stick out too far so it fouls the speaker grille. None of them sound great though, to be fair, as the wiring is old and cheap, and the doors are tinny.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

The four connections would be because you want both the left and right channels going to a mono speaker. :)
1991 Citroen BX 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Ahh ok thanks Rob. I guess I could fit two speakers!

The speaker inside the box under the dash is a 5" one, Halfords sell them as singles for £10 which is what I have bought, the tweeters I orderered were far too big so will keep looking :roll:
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

New 5.25 inch Halfords speaker installed, direct replacement and with the original tweeters the sound isn't bad, I won't be rattling any windows but it's good enough.

Total cost £12!