BE1 clutch adjustment

BX Tech talk
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

BE1 clutch adjustment

Post by Kitch »

Have fitted brand new clutch kit to 19GT (BE1 gearbox, with the little adjusting stud on the release arm) along with a new cable. Seems to work fine, but the pedal is very low (level with the brake pedal), but the biting point is about half way. If I adjust the rod any more (to raise the pedal) I get a 'click' at the bottom of the pedal just as I start to think about releasing my foot. Am I just over-adjusting it and should leave it at the height it's at (and operating quite happily at), or is something amiss? I've fitted lots of clutches before, just never had this issue (and this was the first one I'd done on a BE1 box).

Cheers :)
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: BE1 clutch adjustment

Post by Tim Leech »

Is it the right spacer thingy? I've seen different lengths one.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Thats odd the clutch pedal always has to be adjusted to a higher level than the brake pedal to get full disengagement on the BXs I have/had.
Is the clutch lever on the gearbox OK as these are known to start splitting and eventually fail.
I can't think it is the length of the short pushrod as the adjustment effectively alters its length.
It must be the year of the clutch as I have just had to replace one after very little use because it refused to disengage at all whatever the adjustment was set too.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Tim Leech wrote:Is it the right spacer thingy? I've seen different lengths one.

It's the one that was in there originally, but it's adjustable anyway.
Jaba wrote:Thats odd the clutch pedal always has to be adjusted to a higher level than the brake pedal to get full disengagement on the BXs I have/had.
Is the clutch lever on the gearbox OK as these are known to start splitting and eventually fail.
I can't think it is the length of the short pushrod as the adjustment effectively alters its length.
It must be the year of the clutch as I have just had to replace one after very little use because it refused to disengage at all whatever the adjustment was set too.
It's a brand new clutch, so it makes sense that it needs the least amount of travel at the moment, but it disengages very cleanly. Lever looked fine to me, never noticed any issues when I was cleaning it up. The whole lever moves with the 'click' so it's something that's happening internally and transmitting through to the outside I believe.

Problem I've got is to do the clutch, you have to remove loads of stuff that I (currently) don't have fitted. If I continue to refit the front end, hydraulics and cooling system, and then it turns out the clutch is no good, that'll be a real bummer. At the same time, it's still A LOT of work from where I'm at now, especially as I might remove it and refit it only to find the problem remains.

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Any joy with this Kitch?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Not yet, haven't had much time to work on it. I'm inclined to leave it as the clutch is working fine, and the biting point is mid-way like it should be. as the clutch wears the pedal position will move further and further away from the 'click' bit.