BX TD Break return pipe broken - no access

BX Tech talk
marrowpe
My Cars: CItroen BX TRD Break

BX TD Break return pipe broken - no access

Post by marrowpe »

Hello. My problem: on my BX TRD Break there is a hydraulic oil leak on the right back side. One of the two plastic return pipes coming out of the bellow, the rear one, disappears vertically in that metal tube which leads to the other side of the car. I could pull the pipe out, apparantely it´s torn. The oil is running out of the apperture where that tube originally went in. I guess i that tube there must be a T connecting the return pipes. Question: How can I get there? What´s the operation?
Thanks a lot for tips!
Peter
senmathal
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen BX 16 Valve 89, Citroen C5 HDI 163 -12

Re: BX TD Break return pipe broken - no access

Post by senmathal »

This pipe is only a ventilation pipe and should not connect anything, just went in to the metal tube in the rear frame. The other pipe is the return pipe. If oil comes out of the went pipe you have a big internal leakage or have changed the two pipes with each other.

/Mats
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

One of the two plastic pipes you mention does just go into transverse tube as it is an air breather. The other one goes into a rubber T piece on the right hand side just above and at the end of the transverse tube. It is difficult to see, find and connect to so good luck ! I can't tell you which is which from memory so just look at the other side to see which one is the breather.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
marrowpe

Post by marrowpe »

Thanks for the answers. Mats, oil doesn´t come out of the vent pipe. It comes out of the hole where the vent pipe disappears (after pulling out the vent pipe). I can´t see any tubes or T pieces, only one which lies more or less above the transverse tube, but it seems to be cut. No access.I wonder if I have to take away the transverse tube. How?
Dragon Man
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen Dispatch 2.0L HDi 2005
Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley 1991

Post by Dragon Man »

hmm ok i recently rebuilt my whole LHM system on my break. the pipes furthest away from the sphere are for airflow only (they just use metal sub frame tube as a vent). if somehow the bellows are pushing LHM into the large metal tube of the sub frame then the rear suspension pistons are leaking.

the only pipe that should have LHM in them are the pipes closest to the sphere as said this just goes into a T which then runs through the larger of the 2 solid clear plastic pipes which run in along with the fuel lines.

from what i have seen with mine no LHM should make it into the rear subframe unless the O ring seals in the rear suspension pistons have failed. if all else fails, just make all new pipe out of 6mm polyurethane pneumatic air pipe and push fitting (nylon pipe is to hard and you cant force it into the rear subframe for ventilation). it looks neat too!

- JohnDragonMan

Drives: Citroen Dispatch with retrofitted air conditioning 8)
Classic Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley named Talon (long term storage)

always buy base spec. that way you have the fun of putting all the cool bit on your vehicle :mrgreen:
senmathal
Confirmed BX'er

Post by senmathal »

marrowpe wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:46 pm One of the two plastic return pipes coming out of the bellow, the rear one, disappears vertically in that metal tube which leads to the other side of the car.
Peter

The rear one? Have you change them with each other? I think it is the front one which will go in to the metal tube. The rear one is the leak return and from this one it´s normal that it will come a small amount of oil. As Dragon Man says "the pipes furthest away from the sphere are for airflow only"

/Mats
marrowpe

Post by marrowpe »

thank you very much. tomorrow I´ll have a look...
marrowpe

Post by marrowpe »

Finally I had time to check it out. Once I found the pipes it was easy. The T was broken, I replaced it with a T for gardening irrigation. Problem solved.
BUT: there is a new problem: The left front automatic window doesn´t close properly, I have to guide it into the groove. I opened the inside of the door, but couldn´t understand how to fix it. The rubber seems to be ok. Thanks for tips
senmathal
Confirmed BX'er

Post by senmathal »

Is all screws for the mechanism properly tighten?

/Mats
marrowpe

Post by marrowpe »

...yes, they are. The window is hanging down somehow on the right sight. When I hold it up on the left side, it closes properly. I haven´t really understood how the whole mechanism, the metal bar, is fixed. Is it fixed on the electric motor? Lying on an axle?
really?
BXpert

Post by really? »

Sounds as though the rail has rusted. This is the metal that covers the bottom of the glass.

Mine has just done exactly the same. Bought a new rail from Chevronics to put on.

When the mechanism pushes the bottom of the window to close it, it just bends and twists the rusted rail allowing the glass move sideways in the door.
marrowpe

Post by marrowpe »

Thanks for the reply. I have an old door, I guess it will be easier to change the door than the rail.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Or if the rail isn't rusted, there could be play in the mechanism. It works as a scissor action, one of mine had enough play in the pivot point of arms for the glass to fal out of the guide grooves. I've done both of the fronts in my GT and replaced both mechanisms and runners each side - the runners had been bodged, with a seperate (non-BX) runner for each arm glued to the glass!
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
marrowpe

Post by marrowpe »

How do you get the rail out? Can you put the rail from the right side door to the left side?