The moderns.
Skoda Superb
Citroen C1
The Motor Bike,
250 MZ

Rear lights

Post by Meter rat »

Hello,

I'm hopeful that I can get some advice as to why both rear lights have failed. I came home in the dark last night, and had received a few cars flashing their lights. On arrival at home I checked the car and found both rear lights not working. They were fine last week, and this is the first time the car has moved for a week, and I think it is the first time I have used it in the dark. I have not had time to check the fuses or bulbs, and I find it hard to believe that both have failed together, I looked at the hand book and it seams that both tail lights have individual fuses, although not with out possibilities. Should it not be the bulbs or fuses, is there anything else to look for?

Regards Ian
mountainmanUK
Confirmed BX'er

Re: Rear lights

Post by mountainmanUK »

Both rear lights are earthed at a single point, a small bolt (10mm) behind the passenger side fitting. Might be worth checking that it's still a good clean connection. Just one suggestion. Good luck!
Regards,
Dave
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

The offside lamp cluster is slaved/fed from a plug on the nearside cluster so if the feed is lost to the nearside, both will be out.
It maybe the bulbs are old with consequently brittle filaments so not unexpected that they will fail but worth checking your alternator output is not too high and the cause.
If the fuse has gone, then before replacing, best to check that something has not penetrated/shorted the ribbon cable on its journey to the nearside light cluster.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Ermel

Post by Ermel »

I once needed two days to debug brake lights on a VW Bug, only to find both bulbs had failed in an invisible manner (they looked new but didn't work). Do replace the bulbs first.
Daily driver: BX 19 TZI Break climatisée, ETP (gris cristal met.), 1991, Orga 5457
Needs engine: BX GTi automatique, ETB (gris dolmen met.), 1992, Orga 5622
Needs everything but engine: BX 16 TGI Break, EJX (rouge furio), 1991, Orga 5302
Meter rat
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen Acadiane
Citroen BX 16 TGS
The moderns.
Skoda Superb
Citroen C1
The Motor Bike,
250 MZ

Post by Meter rat »

Thank you for the replies.
The problem turned out to be a fault in one of the number plate lights, which had caused the fuse to fail. Both lights have broken retaining clips and have been glued in place. Would anyone have a second had pair?
Regards Ian