starting problem BX TRD

BX Tech talk
marrowpe
My Cars: CItroen BX TRD Break

starting problem BX TRD

Post by marrowpe »

Hello
my BX TRD Break (300000 km) doesn´t start very well, worse with low temperatures. Once the motor is hot it starts normally. This morning it was bad, it started only after serveral attempts, and during the first km it turned off several times, as if there was no diesel arriving. Luckily it went down, so it came back. I changed the diesel filter and the glow plugs and added a diesel additiv. Then the car was standing for a couple of hours, and again the starting was problematic.
Thanks a lot for tips!
Peter
Kaapelimies
BXpert

Re: starting problem BX TRD

Post by Kaapelimies »

I think it leaks air in to the system somewhere. You can confirm this by adding a piece of transparent tube between diesel filter and the pump. Check the fuel heater behind the engine, all hoses and also that the piping under the car is not corroded through and leaking (lekaing fuel ou means also leaking air in). Also the hand primer pump can be a problem. So pretty much everything from the tank to the pump :D .
BX 4x4 estate, several BX Van's and some more normal estates in Finland.
pwykes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pwykes »

Hi Chaps,

I also have this problem in cold weather, i was just wondering if anybody as tried fitting an addiltional electric fuel pump that would assist the Lucas diesel pump with a bit of fuel pressuriation before startup. In theory it could be connected to the glow plug circuit - providing fuel can pass throught it after power off.

Phil
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

pwykes wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:45 am Hi Chaps,

I also have this problem in cold weather, i was just wondering if anybody as tried fitting an addiltional electric fuel pump that would assist the Lucas diesel pump with a bit of fuel pressuriation before startup. In theory it could be connected to the glow plug circuit - providing fuel can pass throught it after power off.

Phil

Diesel fuel injection pumps send the fuel through to the injectors at very high pressure which wouldn't be boosted in the slightest by adding an electric pump in the system. If your fuel system is not faulty (i.e. not drawing air) and your glow plugs are good then there will be no problem starting an XUD diesel in the lowest of uk temperatures.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
pwykes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pwykes »

The fuel inlet transfer pump under normal working conditions as a vacuum of about 2.5hg, (The gauge also tells me when to exchange the fuel filter, the engine will stall at about 8hg due to being blocked) and yes air is being sucked in but for some reason only during cold weather. By pressurizing the inlet with a few pounds fuel oil should become visable out of any faulty joint. ive ordered an hep-02a to experiment with. Thanks for the reply.