Morette/twin headlight question.

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Morette/twin headlight question.

Post by cavmad »

I reckon the Morette`s on my estate are the dog`s danglies BUT.... I reckon they`d look better if they all lit up on low beam. Currently they only all come on if on main beam where the inner lights also come on.
My questions is that if I put double filament headlight bulbs in the inner ones will they light up with dipped beam as the outers do? Anyone tried this?
Vauxhall apologist.
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

basically what your saying is by changing the highbeam optic over for a std one with the double filament bulbs in???
wouldnt it be a lot simpler to attatch a 'side light' to the highbeam optic to light it up??? you could have it like the big lorries to then with the spot lamps lit up normally blue!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

That`s about the sum of it mucker! Will it be easy to attach the sidelamp? Talking of the blue lighting spot lights I`m after 4xchrome 24 volt ones if someone spots any nice cheap ones for the top of my recovery truck!
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Have a look at the vehicle lighting regulations as I think there is a limit of 2 for vehicles manufacturered after 1/4/91. I thought at the back of my mind that this applied to older vehicles but on checking the 91 date may be appropriate.

These regulations are not easy to read.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_1 ... .htm#nsch4
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

cavmad wrote: Talking of the blue lighting spot lights I`m after 4xchrome 24 volt !

12v ones should do you just fine Mr Mad, remember trucks cheat and have two 12v batteries so you can happily wire up 12v applications without too much bother :D

Could just drill the back of the current lights and glue in some 12v LED's? if you want to do it off a bulb i suspect you'd be better off using the current bulbs and simply add a dimdip resistor off a stnadard BX, might fidn the wiring is already there :D
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I laugh in the face of regulations, hahahahahahahaha! Cheers though Jeremy, I`ll have a look at that when I get five minutes. I`ll be ok on the truck as it`s getting on a bit now (1988) but the BX is a `91/92 so might be after the appropriate date
Vauxhall apologist.
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

the std optic for the lights is the same as some of the early beemers! cant remember the size but 5 1/4" springs ot mind so ther is a cheap alternative to trying it out! (brand new from my local electrical testing place they were £26 each!)
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
Toddman
BXpert

Morette

Post by Toddman »

Sounds like a lot of expense when all you need to do is change the bulb in the inner lamps like Billy first mentioned.
Regs permitting of course all you need to do is fit the spots with high/low filamnet bulbs and then obviously you will need some extra wiring to power the low beam filament, a simple set up like used to contro;l the spots already should work fine.
Alternatively if the spots have a clear space in the silvering to take a side light then it is just a case of glueing a sidelight bulb holder in place.

OR you could fit some angel eyes shouldn't take too much work to fit them around the optics insid ethe shell.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com