My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

MK1 Indicators

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Hello everyone,

Not much going on over in my direction BX wise, however the GT is moving house to a bigger and cheaper (free!) storage facility. So I want to fix the indicator that is permanently on. As soon as the ignition is on, the left had indictor is on - independant of the control switch on the dash. I fyou indicate right, you effectively have your hazards on.

Any ideas for the cause? The GT did start to have some dashboard gremlins before the challenge and i'm sure I read somewhere that the headlamp circuit goes through these switches/ignition switch or something daft, hence MK1's having dash switch problems. The front screen wash and horn will only work intermittently. The headlamp switches, the instrument cluster side of the plastic housing does get quite warm after driving for a bit i've noticed.

I have found, after a reasonable amount of searching, a new - yes NEW! Indicator switch lumped in with some other dash parts for MK1's on Leboncoin. Now before I spend approaching £100, is a new switch likely to solve the problem short-term? With a longer-term plan to do the headlamp circuit mod (i'm sure I have chatted to Mat Fenwick about this at some point) to prevent further failure.

Another point, is there only one colour of grey plastic used for these switches in MK1's? The sellers photo's make the switches look darker grey than I htought my GT's were (but it could easily be a poor quality/dark photograph) Other colours i've seen are blue, black and brown.

Thanks all.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Kaapelimies
BXpert

Re: MK1 Indicators

Post by Kaapelimies »

Switches are a common problem in MK I,indicators and Hi/low-beam switches especially. But you can check to be sure, measure with a multimeter from the connector of the indicator switch. My advice would be if you find good or especially new switch clusters for sale, buy. After that, think.. ;) The prices are not going down.. I don't have a MK I at the moment but I do have a full working instrument cluster and rust free front wings waiting for the rest of the car! :D
BX 4x4 estate, several BX Van's and some more normal estates in Finland.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Hi Tom, sounds like something is shorting out, which could be why the whole switch is getting hot. It's possible the switch is at fault, but not certain.

There's the light grey like you and me have in the GT/TRS, and then my Dad's GT has the very dark grey (almost black).
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Did any MK1 BX not have rear wash/wipe? I aimed to buy a grey switch, and found one on leboncoin with wiper/hazard/rear screen de-mist switches, the main carcass of the RHS switches and what appeared to be an indicator switch. BUT not only is there no indicator switch, this stuff is all chocolate brown...

The advert photos made it appear grey (very poor quality photos) and the seller won't take it back. What a waste of time and money for a part I have no use for!
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid