Mk 1 16TRS headlamp circuit fuses.

BX Tech talk
bowei001
Confirmed BX'er

Mk 1 16TRS headlamp circuit fuses.

Post by bowei001 »

Can anyone please let me know whether there is a fuse/fuses for the headlamps? I can't find one listed in the owner's handbook or in Haynes and no fuse which is listed includes the headlights. (A fuse is listed for the sidelights but at 5A it can't include the headlights). I've just fitted fused relays to my main & dip beams to save the light switch from getting very hot and burning out and if there actually is a headlamp fuse, just for the headlights, I'll change it for a 1A fuse to protect the relays.
Thanks,
Ian
NeilGP
BXpert

Re: Mk 1 16TRS headlamp circuit fuses.

Post by NeilGP »

There is no fuse for the main or dipped beam on the MK1 BX. This is a permanently live feed.
Adding relays as you have done is the only way to save the switch. I have seen them almost melt when high power headlights (100W) had been fitted.
Neil
A476 RBX
Series 1 BX 16TRS
+ 2015 C4 Flair (boring compared to BX!)
bowei001
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bowei001 »

Thanks Neil,
No wonder I couldn't find it.
My switch was getting really quite hot on standard bulbs (not that the car is used much, especially at night) but is still surviving so I thought it was time to relay. It's amazing that in the mid 1980s Citroen would produce such a strange set-up with a pathetic set of contacts in the switch! Still, an easy job to do, if a bit time consuming,and completely reversible without any cutting of the wiring.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

I need to do this with my GT before it gets back on the road, the switches do get remarkably hot and the screen wash works only intermittently now. How is this done for a relative electrical novice?
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

saintjamesy89 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:10 am I need to do this with my GT before it gets back on the road, the switches do get remarkably hot and the screen wash works only intermittently now. How is this done for a relative electrical novice?

It an easy job Tom, if you are electrical. I bought a kit on ebay a couple of years back complete with relays, wiring and connectors. All you have to do is connect the original headlight connectors to the new harness, mount and wire the relays and plug in the new h/light connectors. They might still be available.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
bowei001
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bowei001 »

Hi,
If you can't get the kit, send me a PM with an email address and I'll email you a wiring diagram and a list of the bits I used (all from ebay) together with some photos of the setup under the bonnet.
Regards,
Ian