Stiff steering on TZD

BX Tech talk
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Stiff steering on TZD

Post by Jaba »

Posting this with the intention that it might help someone one day.

The powered steering on this car had become heavier recently and the steering pulled to one side quite strongly, you could feel the difference between turning to the left and the right it was noticeably more stiff one way.
The pump is good and it pumps up very quickly with no excessive clicking. I decided that the issue therefore was a hydraulic one and was either the pinion valve or the FDV playing up.
Last week while doing a clutch change I fitted another FDV. The transformation is remarkable as the steering is now nice and light and does not pull to one side.
I will have to strip down the removed FDV and give it a good clean out sometime. Never had this before in my 25 years and 500,000 miles of BXing.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: Stiff steering on TZD

Post by Defender110 »

^^bx>
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Aren't there some tiny filters in the flow valve? Could be as simple as that. I'm sure plaeides do a service kit for the flow valve.I've never had a problem with one apart from the odd leaky pipe seal.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

rutter123 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:50 pm Aren't there some tiny filters in the flow valve? Could be as simple as that. I'm sure plaeides do a service kit for the flow valve.I've never had a problem with one apart from the odd leaky pipe seal.

Yes there are filters in there. But as they get blocked up gradually they eventually rupture and allow any garbage to pass through the FDV and potentially block up the tiny metering orifices. Its an easy fix but as I have I good one in place now I will do it at my leisure.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I have a similar issue with my Athena, albeit intermittent...
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

Tim Leech wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:59 pm I have a similar issue with my Athena, albeit intermittent...

I have some ideas Tim. We can talk about it at the CCC event if you are there on Saturday ? Also need the benefit of your advice too about my Hurricane. which I am thinking of letting go.