Battery light on

BX Tech talk
morningglory
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1994 TZD Estate in 'Canal-Boat Green'

Battery light on

Post by morningglory »

Hi,

My battery light has come on while driving a couple of times, and when it does, the fuel gauge drops to half the correct reading. This sorts itself out if I turn the ignition off and back on. 14.5v across the battery terminals when the engine is running but I've not been able to test this when the battery light is on. Car had a new battery a few years ago.

Anyone got any ideas? Dodgy earth somewhere? Alternator on its way out?

Thoughts much appreciated

Joe
1994 TZD Estate in 'Canal-Boat Green'

Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Re: Battery light on

Post by Jaba »

First things to check would be the earth connections on the gearbox and the inner wing then clean up the 7 or 8 way connector under the battery tray. Is the connector on the alternator good and clean ? Apart from that it could be alternator or a wiring fault, possibly the fuel gauge wiring, you could disconnect it for a while for diagnosis. I think I would try another alternator first as that is a quick and easy swap.

Sounds like a good challenge anyway so good luck........
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
xantia_v6
BXpert
My Cars: Peugeot 308 CC
Citroen XM V6 ES9
Citroen Xantia V6
Jaguar XJ-S V12

Post by xantia_v6 »

When the warning light comes on, is it full brightness or somewhat dim?

If dim, it is likely that there is a bad connection somewhere in the live feed to the dashboard, possibly a faulty ignition switch.
morningglory
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1994 TZD Estate in 'Canal-Boat Green'

Post by morningglory »

Thanks for the replies. Its due a service anyway so I'll do some tinkering. The light came on again today, not dimmed. Other electrics fine except fuel gauge and indicators, but turning the headlights on seemed to cure it. Maybe it's becoming sentient.
1994 TZD Estate in 'Canal-Boat Green'