Repairs to brake wear harness

BX Tech talk
Mark.T
Confirmed BX'er

Repairs to brake wear harness

Post by Mark.T »

Hi
I'm just copying this quesiton from the BX FB page incase anyone here not on FB knows how the front brake pad wear indicators work. I'm thinking of replacing the long-disintegrated ends in the wheel arches, but wanted to test the remaining wiring first. Are the two wires to each side simply +ve and earth?. I recall that in the original, one of the wires seemed to feed a ruber plug with two female sockets for the wires from the pads, and there was also a wire with a ring connector that was bolted to the hub carrier.

I chekced the surviving wires in the engine bay, and measured only about 45 mV on one wire with ignition on, so tried the same on my other BX and got about 28 mV. Also, if I simply short across the two wires on either side, should the warning light come on? It didn't on either car - but I've not checked the dash bulbs yet...
Cheers
Mark T.
Melbourne, Australia
BX16 TRS Auto (Series 1)
BX19 TRS (Series 2)
C3 Pluriel
xantia_v6
BXpert
My Cars: Peugeot 308 CC
Citroen XM V6 ES9
Citroen Xantia V6
Jaguar XJ-S V12

Re: Repairs to brake wear harness

Post by xantia_v6 »

Typically the bulb is fed with 12V , then the other side of the bulb is connected to the 4 sensor wires (one for each front pad). The sensor wires ground to the brake disk when the pads wear down.
Mark.T
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mark.T »

Thanks. I'll check for voltage to and from the bulb.
Mark T.
Melbourne, Australia
BX16 TRS Auto (Series 1)
BX19 TRS (Series 2)
C3 Pluriel
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I know they are there and are connected but I have never seen the warning light come on even when they should.
Once I had to disconnect the cables because I was getting interference on the radio from them.
So nowadays I regard them as a very unreliable way to check for front brake pad wear.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Mark.T
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mark.T »

Mine worked once... on holiday in 1994 just after I bought the car, and I then had the pads chsnged.

I've just found the warning bulb was missing from the dash... So I'm one step further on.
Mark T.
Melbourne, Australia
BX16 TRS Auto (Series 1)
BX19 TRS (Series 2)
C3 Pluriel
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

I just check mine regularly and when they're worn I change them,
I connected mine up once with new pads and every time I turned left the warning lamp came on, they have been disconnected since, don't think I've had a bx with working wear indicators
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability