rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Rear strut seal kits hatchback

Post by rutter123 »

Needed seal kits Inc felt ram cleaning washer that sits in the lip of the gaitor
Are these available?
Also the pipe clips that sit just atop the strut housing for a single pipe that feeds the rear strut.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Re: Rear strut seal kits hatchback

Post by Jaba »

Not sure that seal kits were ever available for rear cylinders unlike the front struts. Same goes for the felts too.
There must be a part number for the pipe clip you mention but I bet Cit don't supply them any more. I just cable tie those pipes when replacing them as I seldom manage to successfully get the pipes removed and replaced without damaging the clips. The part number might be 26199449 if the fixing hole in the subframe is 6.5mm
You could always use your donor car I suppose.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi some time ago I got a set from ( cant spell it,star group) Pilaides, the hydraulic people.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

I have emailed them but I think they are on Xmas shutdown.
David
BXpert

Post by David »

I'm currently having problems with one of my rear suspension cylinders too. I'm hoping to get it off in the next few weeks and have a look at it.
Are they easy enough to disassemble? (assuming the 4x4 are the same as the standard cars).
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

David, I'm not sure if the 4x4 struts are the same, I would guess they are, I think only the estate cars differ by having more beefy rams, they are not too difficult to remove once the sphere is off, just be careful with the strut support retaining plate spring clip thingymajig as it hooks on inside the strut housing, and the chances are the pipe fitting will be an absolute sod to remove as mine were. I had to cut the pipe and grind down the top of the fitting so it would come out of the housing then drill the fitting out and re- tap the thread (it was seized solid steel in alloy is never a good combo) even heat and mole grips wouldn't budge it and access is limited which didn't help.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

David wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:04 pm I'm currently having problems with one of my rear suspension cylinders too. I'm hoping to get it off in the next few weeks and have a look at it.
Are they easy enough to disassemble? (assuming the 4x4 are the same as the standard cars).

I have heard that the 4x4 cylinders are different but don't know in what respect but it can only be either their length, diameter and/or position of the pipe connection.
If by disassemble you mean you mean take to bits when off the car then this is easy, just push the piston out of the cylinder from the sphere end. And good luck with undoing the rusted in hydraulic union. Pleiades will be able to supply a new pipe.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
David
BXpert

Post by David »

The cylinders are different on the 4x4, asin they don't have the hydraulic pipes fitted directly into them. It's fed into the sphere holder which is mounted seperately on the rear axle instead. They also have shorter suspension rods because the actual cylinder is mounted closer to the rear supension arm than it is on a standard car to make way for the driveshafts.

I'm not sure if the cylinder itself is the same though (aside from the pipe hole not existing on the 4x4), It may be shorter too. I don't know what the internal differences are yet (if any).

I tried to get it off this weekend, but I didn't get very far. There is (about) a 50mm bolt holding the pipe connector unit to the cylinder (where the sphere would fit on a standard car), and I don't have any tools that will remove it. The axle body and drive shaft are in the way to get a socket on it, so I'll have to use some sort of spanner to remove it.

Has anyone got any ideas on anything that I could be overlooking? I can't get a socket on it, as access is poor, even if I remove the driveshaft and rear suspension arm, it'll be the same. I know that it'll be tight as it has to hold oil, it's never been off and the spheres get tight on the rear normally.

The actual pipe going in isn't that tight, as I replaced that when I put the axle on; It's bigger than a standard car anyhow (I think that it's a 17mm nut from what I recall), so that won't be a problem, apart from it might start leaking; that's one of the problems that I had when I joined the forum, but i'll deal with that again if I come to it.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

I have sourced some seal kits, readily available from Plaeides inc the 2 ram seals and the felt wiper, around £20 per side.