Fuel Consumption

BX Tech talk
Widgit
Confirmed BX'er

Fuel Consumption

Post by Widgit »

Greetings,

Being more familiar with the diesel BX's, can any of you give me an idea of the fuel consumption I could expect from a BX 16 petrol ?.

Tim.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Hello there. When it was new, the 16 was regarded as the best all round petrol engine for the BX in terms of average economy. The 14 was better in town, the 19 better on winding A roads, but the 16 was better overall, but there really isnt much in it. The 1.4 engine's seem to perform very well for for their whole life, as, but I have heard that wear in the carberettors of the 1.6 and 1.9 engines can be a problem. My car (a 1.9) uses more than it should (about 28 MPG), but then I have only just replaced the thermostat and the temperature goes up to 80 and stayes there, rather than just 60 like it used to, so that should help it to achieve low 30's at least, I hope. If everything is in order on your car, and the carberettor isnt worn out, then you shoul expect between 35 and 43 depending on your style of driving. If its an automatic, expect 30 etc.
M

Post by M »

Buy an N/A diesel - this weeks tankful gave me 54.7MPG a mixture of clogging it down the M55 and pootling round Blackpool at 2mph 8)
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

:D
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I've only put 2 tanks in the TZD so far. The equivalent in the Xantia would be 4 tanks at ten quid more per tank :D
Over and out from me
Captain Slow
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Captain Slow »

I must agree. The 1.9 N/A is fantastic. Returning over 50mpg with 197k on the clock. 8)
Citroen C4 VTS
Citroen BX Estate 19RD
Widgit
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Widgit »

Thanks chaps....we've already got a pair of oil burners I just fancied adding something different to the "stable" :D

Tim.
richard
BXpert

Post by richard »

My BX16 Gives around 30ish around town, and about 37 on a run :D
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Do the later model 1.6 carb engines share the same engine as the Peugot 405? I only ask because I had one once (Peugot) that had just had a brand new webber fitted to it. Even round town it wouldn`t do less than circa 38/40 mpg and on a steady run mid forties was no problem.
Vauxhall apologist.
richard
BXpert

Post by richard »

Not sure. My BX has the B1A/A engine. My car most likley gives better consumption than what I stated if I use a lighter right foot, and give it a tune up!!!
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I used to get 30ish round town on a couple of 16RS's, but very short journeys tend to give a lot, lot less. The autochoke is a mite unpredictable, and always tends towards too rich for too long rather than too lean.

On longer journeys the 16 gave a bit more, but less than 40 mpg. A 14 would be best of the petrol models for fuel. Both 16 and 19 injections are less profligate on fuel during startup, but deliver a few less mpg overall.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.