Alternator to Rev Counter Connection

Anything about BXs
bookman

Alternator to Rev Counter Connection

Post by bookman »

Our BX 19 has had an XUD turbo engine put in by a previous owner,some bits not being quite right...the rev counter currently does not read and there appears to be no connecting wire from the alternator to the loom to work the rev counter. Can anyone tell us which ( colour ) wire and whereabouts it comes through from the interior,to save much head scratching and potential loud shouting ? Thanks
Kaapelimies
BXpert

Re: Alternator to Rev Counter Connection

Post by Kaapelimies »

In BX diesel the tacho is not connected to alternator, but the sensor on flywheel. If you don't have one, take it from any carburated gasoline engine, they are not used for anything. And, if it's originally a gasoline car, you also need to change the tacho itself. If these are ok, then let's get to the wiring...
BX 4x4 estate, several BX Van's and some more normal estates in Finland.
Dave_16v
BXpert
My Cars: BX 16 Valve Ph 2 Current
BX 16 valve Ph 1 past
BX Gti past
BX Gti Auto past
ZX Volcane keeping others going

Post by Dave_16v »

I had a rev counter issue on an XUD 9TE. I fixed it by replacing the sensor.

The sensor was under the engine, lying on your back looking up and left into the bell housing. Was pretty easy to find as I bought a new one and followed the cable from the connection at the front of the engine. It was a grey block facing forwards and easily seen. There was just one nut to undo the sensor and with a bit of twisting and pulling it eventually came free.

It may be the connection block is dirty or not even connected so try and check that if it is the same set up

Taking into account the tacho is correct for the fitted engine of course as noted above. .
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!
womble3go
Confirmed BX'er

Post by womble3go »

I had an issues with one once it just needed the oil and dirt cleaning of and was then fine.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Which model of bx do you have? Not all 19's have a rev counter fitted-the dash binnacle may have been changed from the clock type to rev counter tho the pick-up sensors are fitted to all diesel engines 1.7/1.9 (they are fitted for factory testing purposes,) I think the TZD/TXD/TGD and all higher spec and turbo models had the rev counter fitted as standard, you may just find your sensor is duff or missing. I've had a few sensors fail but new ones can be sourced for a tenner.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
bookman

Post by bookman »

Thanks for the helpful replies...much appreciated. The car bit is a 1992 TGD and has a tachometer fitted. Where can I get a new sensor from,and are sensors from other Citroen/Peugeots compatible ?
Also...has anyone replaced the rear wing,the nearside one on our BX17 estate is rapidly turning to dust ? Thanks
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

You should find a sensor on eBay, I'm not sure if any sensor will fit but the bx fitment is used on several models.
As for rear quarters rust is quite common around the fuel filler and lower lip, they are available new but I have never changed one, check how far the rust has spread into the boot floor and surrounding areas as it could be a much bigger job than you expect.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability