Talking B____X

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Talking B____X

Post by Tim Leech »

The difference will be very noticeable, I remember when I had one fitted to the red 19TZD before the 2012 Challenge (still the best holiday Ive ever had) and I couldn't believe the difference!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Update.
I just picked the car up and it’s really started chugging and smoking LOTS (unburnt diesel) and is well down on power. It’s had a new fuel filter (old one was minging), oil/filter change, air filter’s ok. Have confirmed the glow plugs are absolutely fine and the engine is ok. It seems the pump is failing. Given how much crap was in the filter can (plus a fair amount of dirty water too), there could be an injector issue too but bunging a load of Millers cleaner through the system can’t hurt initially so we’ll see how it all behaves after the pump is changed.

Hopefully have a replacement pump waiting.... we'll see how it goes 🙂

Starting to think I should’ve passed on it lol, but I know once it’s sorted it’ll be great. 😬
Last edited by Philip Chidlow on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Its just lack of use Phil and she is an old girl, its simple mechanics so easily fixed.

Could be an injector.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Yes, I know - it's a bit frustrating but we'll get there. :)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Update on what is now becoming referred to by Phil Boxall (aka Kermit) and I as the Green Hornet II.

The replacement pump I thought was OK turned out to be the wrong type...

Kermit's Xantia VSX TD is being broken and he has kindly donated the (Bosch) pump, pipe, injectors etc. etc. to the cause: the Lucas pump was toast!

So all this gets fitted this week, then assuming it's OK after the transplant (should be; there's been enough advice, encouragement and warnings sent my way on this topic!) it's on with the other bits that need doing. Top of that list is the wiring, some of which needs looking at - warning lights not going out mainly. And a passenger window that seems intent on jumping ship if operated. Then it's rear hatch struts, spheres (not essential but my preferred mix) and replacement stereo.

Should all be done before February's out.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Good news Phil!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, quite a lot of activity getting the BX sorted. It's gone fairly well and although there're a few things left to do at least I have a drivable BX now :)

In summary the clutch has been replaced with a new Valeo unit. It's been serviced (oil and filters) and the Bosch pump has now been fitted: including new fuel pipe and filter/primer pump housing and filter. Fitted a new Gates cam belt, water pump, tensioner and guide pulley. A fuel line has been repaired with some fuel line spliced in: will be absolutely fine for the time being; although the plan is to eventually replace the fuel line with either a reinforced rubber one/braided SS one (overkill) or copper nickel one.

The lower engine mount and driveshaft oil seal has been replaced although it hasn't completely stopped dropping oil (and transmission oil I think) it's much better than it was. A troublesome LHM leak has been fixed. The battery now has quick-release clamps and headlight bulbs have been upgraded. Both fog lights now work. The car now has a new set of Michelin CrossClimates and a new spare.

The stereo is out and the Blaupunkt replacement is in, but needs an aerial extension (I now have). The Moss alarm is disconnected and needs removing. The STOP warning light still refuses to go out, and after checking out the wiring appears there's a chance either a wire has been pinched/broken or the pressure warning switch is faulty (I have a replacement now). A case of slowly slowly catchy thingy.

The passenger front door glass is wedged closed as its come off its channel/runner but I now have a new one to fit so that's one more job for the Spring.

I'll fit a new wiper blade and replace the rear parcel shelf (the existing one had speakers in it).

I would've changed the rear spheres but the rear cylinders are holding on to them for now so the plan is to refurbish a pair of cylinders (seal kits from Pleiades are available) and fit them after cleaning up (and treating with Vactan and Waxoyl) the rear a bit as there's some surface rust I want to deal with.

I hope I can get the warning light to go out soon as it's not ideal. And I want to finally get the remaining irritating leaks fixed. But essentially I'm much happier now. I don't quite get the feeling the car rides as well as it could: might fit softer spheres to the front, but that's not a major thing and can be looked at once a few other jobs are completed!
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

That's a long list of problems Phil. Usually its a case of rust and welding that needs doing on acquiring a running car so that is bad luck for you I reckon.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

A long list, yes, but a fairly long list of sorted issues too. We'll get there. :)
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Once all the teething problems are ironed out, I think the Green Hornet 2 just needs to be used on a regular basis - says he whose Valver has been in a state of hiatus since 2017 - proof that cars don’t like not being used.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I agree. Main issue now is sorting the wiring out so the STOP light goes out, and coming to terms with the fact although there's a socket on the side of the expansion tank there's no plug hanging about that fits. Maybe - as has happened before in my experience, there was never one.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Philip Chidlow wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:22 pm I agree. Main issue now is sorting the wiring out so the STOP light goes out, and coming to terms with the fact although there's a socket on the side of the expansion tank there's no plug hanging about that fits. Maybe - as has happened before in my experience, there was never one.

Phil, I have posted two pics of the missing plug to help you find it: https://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=22369

You can't put pics as attachments in the Blog section it seems.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I think we know where the issue is with the light and it'll get sorted when Kermit comes up in a week's time.

In the meantime:
Update:
N899 NCK
Work undertaken.

From 20 November 2018.

Gates replacement cam belt, water pump and tensioner.
Replacement auxiliary belt.
Valeo replacement clutch fitted.
Replaced o/s drop link.
Headlight bulbs replaced with Osram 130% Nightbreakers.
Front n/s fog light repaired.
Oil*, filter*, air filter and fuel filter* changed. *Twice.
Millers fuel system cleaner and cetane booster added.
Set of new Michelin CrossClimate tyres and new 'budget' spare fitted to OE Steel spare with alloy wheelbolt adaptors in place.
Protective zip bag for spare wheel.
New Michelin wiper blades front and rear.

Fuel pump replaced with rebuilt and set Bosch pump and pipes from Phil Boxall's early Xantia 1.9TD.
New fuel primer/filter housing.
Driveshaft oil seals replaced.
New lower engine mount.
New glow plugs and leak-off pipes.
Gearbox oil replaced with Total Gear8 - and Molyslip added.

LHM 'Y' piece fitted, curing leak.
Quick release battery clamps fitted.
Radio replaced with Blaupunkt Boston head unit.
Replaced rear parcel shelf (without speakers).
Renewed tailgate struts.
Sunroof lubricated.

To do: (much of this will be attempted 15th June).

Fit new fuel pipes (supplied by Chevronic).
Fit new (IHFS) Comfort spheres (front).
Replace rear spheres (19n/a estate spec).*
*This may involve replacing the rear suspension cylinders and pipework depending upon the condition of the existing parts.
Sort warning lights: check wiring and restore connection to expansion tank.
Improve wiring to power outlet in centre console allowing connection of invertor.
Fit fire extinguisher/bracket under passenger seat.
Replace headlight bulbs with commercial H4 LED units (supplied by Phil B).
Replace discs and pads (examining possibility of fitting Xantia components).
Replace brake hoses.
Replace courtesy light festoon bulbs with canbus LEDs.

And - give it a good clean inside and out :)
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

OK and what you doing AFTER lunch???
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

HaHa!

Well, actually I missed something off the To Do list: Refit the passenger front window with its new channel.
:)