Re: my valver

Anything about BXs
greendale65
BXpert

Re: my valver

Post by greendale65 »

Hello all, me again as said in previous i've had the correct spheres put on rear
and now the same on the front the problem is it never used to be like this
would it affect the car ride if i changed the fronts only using
55bar spheres any thoughts on this.
thanks all.
:) :)
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Re: my valver

Post by rutter123 »

From memory the 16v has 65bar spheres front and rear which are the correct fitment supporting the firmer and more sporty ride.
55bar spheres are for more "comfort" ride, its down to personal preference.
A few things to check,;
Was the system bled of all air after new ones were fitted? This is done via the 12mm bleed screw on the regulator.
How long have your new spheres been sitting on the shelf? I once brought new ones but they were completely flat as they had been on the shelf for nearly 8 years and lost all their pressure.
Which make of spheres are they? Quality differs greatly.
Easy test-put car in normal ride height and push down on each corner to see how much travel you have.
Check tyre pressures.
Most spheres will have a manufacturer date stamp on them mite be worth checking.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Dave_16v
BXpert
My Cars: BX 16 Valve Ph 2 Current
BX 16 valve Ph 1 past
BX Gti past
BX Gti Auto past
ZX Volcane keeping others going

Post by Dave_16v »

Standard 16 valve is as follows.

Front 400/45/1.25 (volume / pressure / bore of the hole) Citroen part No. 96 087 641

Rear 400/30/0.7

Presumably, you thought your old ones were worn out but find these new ones firmer even though spheres become firmer over time in use. Perhaps your old ones were incorrect and you have become used to a soft ride, even a Gti feels soft compared to a 16v. Having said that, my 16v feels smoother than my regular car that has sports suspension.

I suggest you check what has been fitted, see if it matches the above and then act from there. Check what was removed if possible.

Accepting they are fitted correctly and not US to start with, you may get used to them, after all, it is a characteristic of the 16v but you don't have to like it.

Putting softer ones on will alter the handling but unless you drive it like a 16 valve as they were designed, you probably will not notice. Softer on the back for example will mean the back end drops on hard acceleration. I do not think you will get to that point and neither would I but I like to keep the car as it was made, it takes bends well, I do not mean fast, just nicely. It also cruises over road humps easily. Pot holes are horrible in most cars by their nature. I suppose softer on the front might lift and dive a little but 55 is Gti spec. and if you had incorrect ones before, it should not bother you. You need to take into account the bore as well, not just the bar @55.
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!
senmathal
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen BX 16 Valve 89, Citroen C5 HDI 163 -12

Post by senmathal »

Original spheres fore BX 16 Valve is:
Front 400 cc 45 bars part nr. 96087641.
Rear 400 cc 30 bars part nr 96087642

Higher pressure gives softer ride and vice verse. The data is from Citroen BX parts list so I think they are correct. Lesser powered BX has 400-55 or 500-55 in front. I think 500-55 will give a very soft ride.

/Mats
senmathal
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen BX 16 Valve 89, Citroen C5 HDI 163 -12

Post by senmathal »

Sorry Dave i miss your answer in any reason.

/Mats
greendale65
BXpert

Post by greendale65 »

Hello all, just had a new accumulator fitted don't hear any ticks though

Hello all just had a new accumulator fitted 62 bar don't hear any
ticking though used to any reason helpful.
thanks all.
8) 8)
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Ticks are more gentle with a new accumulator so you might not be listening hard enough. If the usual acc test of sitting on the rear end works then the system is getting up to pressure so there is nothing to worry about. The clicks will return soon enough so enjoy the peace while you can.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.