Talking B____X

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Talking B____X

Post by Tim Leech »

Mines insured for £5000 agreed value, they didn’t question it.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Thanks Tim. I’ll give FJ a bell. 👍
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Tim, 5K really !
My GTi is on half that. Do you think you could you sell yours for that price ? If so then I must up mine too. I am not in touch with current prices but I do know that you can get non runners with a few faults for a price in the low 100s.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Would someone pay £5k for it? Probably not, but as it’s not for sale but if anything happened to it And it was written off I would have enough money to buy it back and repair it unless it was really badly bent.
vulgalour
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

£5k doesn't seem that daft for insurance valuation. Look at any 80s or 90s performance car, including French ones, and the prices they're commanding these days. Most hot hatches and GTs from the 80s are getting to be collectable, regardless of marque, and French stuff from the era was held in quite high regard at the time so has a lot of positive nostalgia attached which further pushes the price up.

There's other factors too of course, Tim's GT is good enough to be in print several times and considered something of a quality benchmark for the breed which helps push its value up further. The Mk1 is generally more desirable since it has maximum quirk and while the cream isn't the hottest colour it could be in, it's very much of its time so hits the nostalgia buttons. BXs are getting harder to find, specific models even more so, and that's only going to keep pushing the prices up, especially while there's such excellent aftermarket support when many cars of the era simply don't have it.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, my Hurricane was recently valued at £6,000. For insurance purposes that is. But I wouldn't sell (if I was going to) for much less.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Blimey !!! 5K, 6K are these values inflated ?
Where could you sell your cars for those prices ?
Where do you get these valuations from guys ?
Whats my above average GTi 8v worth then in this new world of valuations?
Last edited by Jaba on Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
vulgalour
BXpert
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

Ah that's the thing though isn't it? Insurance valuation is not the same as real world valuation, because of the unique way insurance works. A car insured for £5k is unlikely to actually sell for that much, it might make £3-4k, but because of the way insurance is you have to insure it for the inflated value to stand any chance of getting a pay out for what the car is actually worth so that you can replace it. Part of the joy that is the insurance scam, really.

Considering the fact that insurers are willing to put these higher agreed valuations on a GT, it's probably worth getting yours valued and insured accordingly, you could well be under-insured on it.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

vulgalour wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:12 pm £5k doesn't seem that daft for insurance valuation. Look at any 80s or 90s performance car, including French ones, and the prices they're commanding these days. Most hot hatches and GTs from the 80s are getting to be collectable, regardless of marque, and French stuff from the era was held in quite high regard at the time so has a lot of positive nostalgia attached which further pushes the price up.

There's other factors too of course, Tim's GT is good enough to be in print several times and considered something of a quality benchmark for the breed which helps push its value up further. The Mk1 is generally more desirable since it has maximum quirk and while the cream isn't the hottest colour it could be in, it's very much of its time so hits the nostalgia buttons. BXs are getting harder to find, specific models even more so, and that's only going to keep pushing the prices up, especially while there's such excellent aftermarket support when many cars of the era simply don't have it.

Its amazing how times change, Ive had the GT for 11+ years now and it was given away free due to having had a slight accident, as it was due to be scrapped!
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

The £1600 that I paid for the Valver nearly 10 years ago is looking increasingly like a good investment. I’d certainly not have received such a rate of return if I’d put the £1600 into a bank account and just think of all the fun I’ve had with it and all the amazing people I’ve met because of it.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

A good BX will fetch decent money these days. A 16v is top of the tree and a minter will probably sell for £7k or more. But the important thing is condition - not just how shiny it is (a recent 16v excelled in that department but was a little less than perfect under the skin and was up for close to that). If there is evidence the car has no appreciable rust, lots of recent work replacing tired or worn components, service history and no significant paint issues, a full MOT and drives as it should then these higher values are attainable. A fully restored example (like the GT Kitch did) can ask even more.

But, essentially a very tidy and fully sorted GT, Sport or GTi will nudge £4-5k and likely sell quickly too. Same goes for the TZD Turbos, despite the recent anti-diesel backlash. An extremely well presented TZD Turbo estate which isn't tired and baggy will command a good price as a not only as a really well-regarded load lugger but as a flipping rare beast these days. Same goes for limited editions, eg Hurricanes - petrol or diesel.

Cooking BX 1.6 and 1.4's are valued a little less - as are the ubiquitous 1.9D - but not by much. I saw a half decent 19 TGD sell for £1800 recently and it needed work.

To put it into perspective, compare with the values of the BX's contemporaries. Values have risen across the board it seems.

I was offered £3,500 for my Hurricane at the Centenary Event recently. I did not hesitate to decline. I am confident it could sell for £5k now. But, it's not for sale :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
vulgalour
BXpert
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

I have no idea of the real value of my 17RD, a case of a rare model with very little desirability. Not a problem for me. The surprise was how cheap I got this one, I'd been following prices of good BXs with MoT and was expecting to have to pay £800-1000 for one in similar condition to mine, a far cry from how cheap they were just a few years ago when you could still just about get a nice average car for under £500.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Back in the day you could pick them up for next to nothing, often given away for free or scrap price, but as things get rarer and nostalgia kicks in then the prices rise.
Meter rat
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen Acadiane
Citroen BX 16 TGS
The moderns.
Skoda Superb
Citroen C1
The Motor Bike,
250 MZ

Post by Meter rat »

Just updated the valuation on both the BX, and the Acadiane. The Acadiane is probably still under valued at £3500. The BX is insured for £2000 now, to give me a chance of replacement in the event of a write off. That will not any way cover the money spent on it. Maybe with the prices rising for the lower speck models rising, maybe £2000 isn’t enough?
lesg
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: citroen bx gt

Post by lesg »

Must get around to getting my Gt revalued then. Got her insured for £2000 at the moment but reading the comments on here i seems it is undervalued somewhat. I hadn't realised the prices on Bx's had gone up so much on a vehicle that you couldn't give away a few years back. Thank goodness I saved mine from either being scrapped or going to somebody who would have ripped her apart for spares. She still puts a smile on my face when I start her up and see the faces of people as the suspension kicks in and rises her up. Long live the Bx's and I think they will, in like minded people like us.