Athena

BX Tech talk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Athena

Post by Tim Leech »

Personally I think if you were to keep the alloys I would go plain silver as in my opinion the grey and the Gold don't really go

You can get paint less dent repair done easily and fairly cheaply, both my cars have had that done.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
petergar
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen BX Athena, RBS8 hillclimb car, VW EOS

Post by petergar »

Yeah it would probably be a bit cheaper as well.....some of the dents and marks are too bad for paintless removal....also the front passenger wing has been colour matched by a partially sighted, colour blind paint spayer.....I think it will be doors and wings on the passenger side to do, both bumpers and the driver's side doors.
Meter rat
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen Acadiane
Citroen BX 16 TGS
The moderns.
Skoda Superb
Citroen C1
The Motor Bike,
250 MZ

Post by Meter rat »

The fan control has a cable connected to it, to operate the air control flap. Without it connected, the flap will not open and close in proportion to the fan position, and you will only get a dribble of air. Been there done that.
petergar
Confirmed BX'er

Post by petergar »

Thanks Meter rat.....handy to know. I've ordered drop links, the heater control panel and that's it for now......I will see how I get on unsticking the tap before I take it to bits.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

A tip on removing drop links, don't faff around trying to get the nuts off just cut the nuts away with a grinder, makes the job a lot quicker and easier
2nd tip check your new ones are the same length as Yr old ones as interweb buys do vary by up to an inch longer
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
petergar
Confirmed BX'er

Post by petergar »

rutter123 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:44 pm A tip on removing drop links, don't faff around trying to get the nuts off just cut the nuts away with a grinder, makes the job a lot quicker and easier
2nd tip check your new ones are the same length as Yr old ones as interweb buys do vary by up to an inch longer
Cheers...yes I had to cut the drop links off my recent Alfa Romeo so I'm not averse to firing up the grinder. I will check them before I start messing.....the same thing happened with the Alfa actually....the ones that turned up were an inch longer and they then sent another set of the correct length for free....so I have a set of brand new ones with no idea what car they fit. BX drop links are seriously expensive compared to othere.....my VW daily costs under £20 a pair....the BX was nearly double.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

£20 a side is about right for fairly good quality ones, think I paid that for QH drop links which did match the o/e on length. I also have another pair from an unknown source which are 30mm longer but what more would you expect for £10 a pair??
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Rom0788
My Cars: Ferrari

Post by Rom0788 »

The brakes will bolt up more promptly if the tires are exceptionally old.
Rom0788
My Cars: Ferrari

Post by Rom0788 »

Hi and welcome!

Brisk answer is that it's probably going to be various issues. Held onto warmer taps are sensibly normal, get to is clumsy under the dash by the controlling segment on a RHD vehicle. There is a string in the Tech FAQ segment on the reasonable justification of the blower disappointment.
petergar
Confirmed BX'er

Post by petergar »

I have the dash to bits now and the cable for the heater control is solid.....so now I need to get to the tap! The fan is also dead so I will take that out and apply direct power to it and see if it's the motor or something else.

The motors very rarely fail, its normally the earthing or connections.
petergar
Confirmed BX'er

Post by petergar »

The 2 Bowden cables going to the fan and vent control knobs have metal clips to hold them in.....what holds the temperature control one in? On my original control panel it was held into a broken plastic bracket by some black gunk (not very successfully)
petergar
Confirmed BX'er

Post by petergar »

I've established the heater fan works and there is live at the fan.....so from this am I right in thinking it's probably the earth to the control in the cabin? The middle of the 5 wires? I did consider the transistor but according to the guide it would probably stick in the flat out position rather than the not working at all one?
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Its often the power transistor in the speed regulator. Its earth strap can become loose or corroded, worth a look while you are there.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
petergar
Confirmed BX'er

Post by petergar »

I found that an earth to the left hand of the 5 terminals made the fan work.....but just at full chat.....the middle terminal made no difference at all. I realise I have a lot of questions but I am getting there :D