Removal of wire donut gasket manifold/downpipe

BX Tech talk
Thickasmud
Confirmed BX'er

Removal of wire donut gasket manifold/downpipe

Post by Thickasmud »

Some advise is required please. I am under the car on the driveway trying to replace the full exhaust. The boxes were all tuberex and look to have been on the car a long time, anyway they are all off now, along with the spring bolts and downpipe. The original wire gasket is however still in the manifold and looks very very fixed. I am weary of mangling the existing gasket to avoid needing to take the manifold off etc., if there is a decent chance of getting it to seal on the new downpipe. What are the collective's thoughts on this? Leave in place or hammer out and risk adding to the trauma (me and car)?
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Re: Removal of wire donut gasket manifold/downpipe

Post by Jaba »

Leave it on if it was not leaking before. They do come off quite easily with some whacks from above if you want to have a go.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Thickasmud
Confirmed BX'er

Re: Removal of wire donut gasket manifold/downpipe

Post by Thickasmud »

Thanks Jabba, it wasn't leaking so left it alone. Had 2 attempts to get the system lined up, the two rubber hangers supplied were slightly shorter than original, but once swapped out, a decent fit. Must have been leaking awhile as I do not remember this car being so quiet.