Automatic check

BX Tech talk
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Automatic check

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I took my GTi auto in for some work on the ABS and whilst there checked all the fluid levels. Rather alarmingly I found the dipstick on the auto box was almost dry. In the end, postponing a drain and refill, we ended up putting a litre of fluid in to hopefully fend off any problems for the time being. There was nothing in the function of the box to indicate there was a problem, so my advice to all auto owners is don't forget to check levels often!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

How did youcheck the level?
Warm, cold, engine running or off, in park or neutral, had the car just been run or not?
If you had drained it, they take 2.5 litres after a draining, the rest is left in the torque converter.
If the level is too low, they carry on like a manual with a slipping clutch by revving and not going anywhere, if too full can tend to be a bit harsh on changes but more importantly, can blow seals.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Auto box level.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi Philip If you have put in a whole litre then please check the level ASAP as you may find that it is now way over the top, it does not take very much to send the level way up.
The boxes dont like this. What does make a hell of a difference to the level is the temperature of the fluid, if its topped up when cold then the level checked when it's up to temperature (80/90 degrees.) then it could read an inch or so over the high mark. If it's possable drain the box (both plugs.) and put in about 2 1/2 litres. Take it for a run of at least 5 miles, stop and put the gear stick through all positions about 5 times and leave in N (Engine running, dont turn it off.) , check the level, it should be inbetween the two level marks.
There is always some fluid left in the box as it cant be fully drained. If the fluid that comes out is not a nice red colour and stinks then do some changes at about 300 mile intervals untill it does come out red and clean.
I know it seems a lot of fuss but a few litres of ATF is cheaper than a box.

USE DEXRON 2 ONLY. Sorry to shout but if dexron 3 is used then it WILL destroy the box.
I apologise if I've covered things that you already know but the cost of a box is bl+++y expensive.
Best wishes.
Geoff.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

The box was hot. It had been stationary for less than 5 mins following a brisk journey. To be precise I think the amount of fluid was slightly less than the full litre, (Dextron 2), but I will check it after the wife brings it back this afternoon - it'll be hot then too.

I am going to have the box drained and refilled next service in about 1000 miles time.

I must say the shifts are now smoother.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Will do that when I get my new one this weekend.
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

So how do you check the level on a manual box? There are two similar bolts on the side, and I remember someone saying that if you take the wrong one off, your gonads drop off.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

But if you go to the end you'll find the correct one. Look carefully at the bolts holding the tin cover on, one is larger and the cover lip is bent round it. This is the filler/level plug. Be careful to get a good grip in it so that you don't round it off!
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

19mm for the filler/level plug, AFAIR.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.