For good or bad - "Flipping Bangers" does the BX

Anything about BXs
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

For good or bad - "Flipping Bangers" does the BX

Post by DLM »

Public service announcement (I have no connection with this programme).

Today (Fri 27/4/19) at 9 p.m.. on the Freeview Blaze channel in the UK & repeated Sunday morning, a BX comes to reality man-TV and will be "flipped" The production company website pic shows a bonnet-up bespoilered red BX minus at least one headlight and sill-deep in grass - so you may have some idea of the sort of thing to expect (is it likely to be an earlyish 16v?). I suspect they'll have needed the trailer they often take when "buying for the camera".

(http://www.tcbmediarights.com/screeners ... ngers.html).

I've recorded a couple from this series and watched them at leisure. More often than not, it follows this pattern:

1. Dynamic duo buy car close to being beyond redemption in mildly staged negotiation with owner. The stated aim of said purchase is to double the purchase price of the purchase after working on it and reselling it as a going concern.
2. Dynamic duo muse awhile post-purchase about the folly of what they've done, almost certainly banter mildly to camera
3. Dynamic duo get stuck in on restoration, discover the full horror, generally fix up vehicle (accompanied by more banter to camera).
4. Dynamic duo more or less achieve the headline aim in that reality TV way that concentrates on headline figures but doesn't drill down too deep on the costs.

If you have a SORNed BX somewhere in plain sight, I guess this might provoke an approach. One of the presenters is believed to have twirled a spanner in the general direction of a BX before.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Joris
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1995 Volvo 480 ES
1987 Citroen BX 1.9 TRS Estate
1977 Mini

Re: For good or bad - "Flipping Bangers" does the BX

Post by Joris »

I enjoyed the program.
I just wonder what happened to their front fogs and if they didn't have to replace the spheres...
panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Post by panky »

It's also on My5 catch up if, like me, you watch most things on a PC

https://www.my5.tv/flipping-bangers/season-1/citroen

Not watched it yet but will have a gander later.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Hmm

a bx petrol sits for 15 years and starts with a fresh can of petrol and battery....my athena did the same but has been fettled.

Also no sign of a service/cambelt/or even lhm change?

Glad it got saved but was a bit half a job!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Joris
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1995 Volvo 480 ES
1987 Citroen BX 1.9 TRS Estate
1977 Mini

Post by Joris »

I agree with all that.
But yeah they will have done a service, but no cam belt seen or any work to the hydraulics other then the octopus.
But I think there formula is to resurrect the car and there still can be some work left.
Or they will do more but they make it look more successful since it is the first season.
You would only know if you would have bought the car...
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I think things may have been massaged a bit to aid the erm.. "journey".

A little bit of magic - the car is sitting on a set of steel wheels which turn into Speedlines without any mention of extra cost. Headlights appear from nowhere too - none of the cars in the field have any. Not a mention of rust anywhere - I'd have been whipping up that boot carpet to to look at the boot floor, opening rear doors and raising rear seat to examine the rear subframe area before shaking any hands too.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Werent the headlamps in the boot?
joshward
My Cars: 1971 Morris Marina 1.3 DL Coupe
1971 Morris Marina 1.3 SDL Coupe
1971 Morris Marina 1.8 SDL Saloon
1971 Morris Marina 1.8 SDL Coupe
1972 Morris Marina 1.3 DL Saloon
1994 Peugeot 306 1.4 Mardi Gras
1995 Peugeot 405 1.8 GLX
1997 Peugeot 306 D-Turbo

Post by joshward »

Yes they were. I have now watched the other episodes of this show and have to say I am enjoying it. It's proper tarting up old cars to make a quick bit of money on which in a way is quite refreshing to see compared to cheque book restorations.

Like all TV you have to take it with a pinch of salt. Filming is an expensive business, even if on location they probably only have a film crew of a couple of people, everything will have been filmed multiple times, from different camera angles etc. They can't afford to have a camera crew turning up to pick up a car only for it not to spring into life magically etc or spend hours cutting away the brambles. Likewise all deals etc will have been done well beforehand. As A-ha sung 'the sun always shines on TV'! Likewise about how they have given up their jobs etc... they will be getting paid for making the TV series. It's just to add a bit of drama to it to keep the masses glued to their screens.

At the end of the day it was a BX on screen for a good 45 minutes, and a car back on the road, and that can only be a good thing at the end of the day.
1971 Morris Marina 1.3 DL Coupe
1988 Citroen BX 19 GTi
1995 Peugeot 405 2.0 GLX16
1999 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi Exclusive
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

If you watch car SOS closely, you will see whilst they are working on the "Episode car" there are a few of the other SOS cars being worked on aswell.....so its not actually Tim and Fuzz but an army of workers...still a good programme though,
panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Post by panky »

Watched it last night and enjoyed it. Obvious set pieces and loosely scripted good cop/bad cop banter but I liked Will's seemingly genuine enthusiasm for the car. Shame about the fog lights though, wiring must have been dodgy.
St.Eve
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroën BX14TGE (as "Classic"), furio-red, 116k kms
Peugeot 306Cabriolet, Saint-Tropez, grey. 196k kms

Post by St.Eve »

Sadly i cannot watch it here in germany, somehow the link doesn't work for me.
Is this uploaded somewhere else? Sounds really interesting, and you don't see a BX in TV all day...
Cheers Steve
"You could drive any f*ckn car in the world as a mechanic - why a BX?" - a former friend
joshward
My Cars: 1971 Morris Marina 1.3 DL Coupe
1971 Morris Marina 1.8 SDL Saloon
1994 Peugeot 306 1.4 Mardi Gras
1995 Peugeot 405 1.8 GLX
1997 Peugeot 306 D-Turbo

Post by joshward »

Tim Leech wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 9:52 am If you watch car SOS closely, you will see whilst they are working on the "Episode car" there are a few of the other SOS cars being worked on aswell.....so its not actually Tim and Fuzz but an army of workers...still a good programme though,

Same with this series too, you can sometimes see opposite the workshop there's a load of cars standing there which are shown in the preview segments as being featured in an episode. Understandable as it saves waiting around on parts. If they suddenly discover Car A needs an XYZ which will take several days to arrive and there's nothing else they can do in the meantime they can stick Car B on the ramp for a little while instead, and the magic of television means we're none the wiser :lol:
1971 Morris Marina 1.3 DL Coupe
1988 Citroen BX 19 GTi
1995 Peugeot 405 2.0 GLX16
1999 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi Exclusive
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

I just watched this, quite enjoyed it too, similar questions about general servicing, spheres, wheel and other bearings etc! But good to see a BX put back on the road, and it did look good once polished and tarted up.

I have gained one useful insight from this though, i'm not doing the octapus on my GT - i'll bloody well pay someone to do it!
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

I also enjoyed this, despite the obvious (to us BX nerds at least!) generosity with the truth and gaps in the story.

That 'LHM' they were pouring into the reservoir certainly didn't look very bright green though - what the hell was that, was it the new stuff they use in C5s etc? Surely not a good idea...
1991 Citroen BX 16v
James W
My Cars: Bentley mk6
Citroen BX 16V . The car that was on Flipping Bangers. The actual car
Ford Granada 2.8 Ghia X

Post by James W »

I have the car that was featured in Flipping Bangers
I would considder selling