Steering RAM bolt torque settings

BX Tech talk
BXMad

Steering RAM bolt torque settings

Post by BXMad »

Just finished one of the more awkward jobs on the 1.9 TD - steering gaiters for both sides. At least it was dry, hot & sunny! Nearly finished but couldn't find the torque setting for the RAM's M12 star and 14mm bolts. Max torque for a standard M12 is 99 lb/ft but its a 1.5 pitch. Its temporarily tightened to the same as the mounting bolts (i.e. 41lb/ft) and I've guessed the 14mm head one should be around 25-30 lb/ft. Does anyone know what torque setting Citroen specified for these bolts?
1.9 TGD (Estate, manual)
1.9 TRD (2 Saloons, auto & manual)
1.9 TXD (Saloon, auto)
TZD Turbo (Saloon, manual)
GTI 4 x 4 (Saloon, manual)
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Re: Steering RAM bolt torque settings

Post by Jaba »

I cannot see it listed anywhere either. It maybe in the Citroen workshop manuals but I don't have those. I replaced my LH gaiter last year and used 30 and 45 to tighten the bolts to as well as using lots of thread sealant.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
BXMad

Re: Steering RAM bolt torque settings

Post by BXMad »

Thanks for looking. I'll check them next time I've got the front jacked up. A bit strange its so difficult to find the correct settings for something like a steering RAM.
Whilst under there doing the gaiters, I saw that the feed pipe between the FDV and steering pinion has been grating the subframe so spent most of yesterday replacing that. It took longer as I decided to make some mods to the pinion heat shield so it is now easier to take off and refit (basically spot welded a nut/washer and used an Allen bolt instead of the hex one). Off topic so plan to write a short description with photo for others!
1.9 TGD (Estate, manual)
1.9 TRD (2 Saloons, auto & manual)
1.9 TXD (Saloon, auto)
TZD Turbo (Saloon, manual)
GTI 4 x 4 (Saloon, manual)