Pearlescent/metallic

BX Tech talk
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Pearlescent/metallic

Post by Gareth Wales »

Has anyone got any hints or tips on "blowing in" paint repair to metallic paintwork.
I'm intent on dealing with a " trolley" ding caused yesterday by Cretin, a supermarket attendant attempting to push 20 or so trollies at once.
I have an aerosol called "filler and primer" but don't know how thick this coating can be.I was thinking of rough sanding the dink, (but not down to shiny metal, and using this aerosol rather than the usual filler.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

You will need to fill or remove the dent first as filler primer will only get rid of surface irregularitys then you will need to sand and prep the area with metalics you will need a very good paint match or it will shout at you you would be better to spray a half panel than trying to blend a patch in for example a door you would respay from the rub strip to the window or from the rub strip to the bottom then you dont have a blending problem as you can hide the seam behind the rubbing strip.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
artic-steel

Post by artic-steel »

Sleepy is spot on, i did a minor repair on the corner of my door today & tried to blend it, i'll have to re do next weekend taking in all the lower door & 'losing' the seam on the crease in the door
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Its the only option really unless you dont mind an unsightely mess I worked in the trade and it was always hard to explain to customers the cost as all they saw was a little scratch and dent But you had to explain that to do a good job meant repainting half or even a full panel unless you can hide a seam somewhere.
M

Post by M »

Bugger that Gareth - take it to a body shop - get a quote and send it to the store in question, saying that you are prepared to take them to the small claims court if necessary and will be looking to hire a car for the duration yours is off the road, add to that stress at some fooknut wrecking your "classic" pride and joy etc etc.

Then phone somone like "Chipsaway" who will do it for about £90 and spend the afternoon in the pub with the difference.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Marty it doesnt work like that all public car parks cover themselves by saying that you "park here at your own risk" otherwise they would be being sued every five minutes for car park dings as people take the attitude there car park there responsibility so they have got round this with the above term.
M

Post by M »

Sloblock to that :wink: - employees of any company have liability for any accidents they cause through negligence (this includes spilling liquid on the floor, giving incorrect advice and so on) and I would think that trying to man handle 20 trolleys is beyond the scope of most people other than perhaps Geoff Capes...
Nahh, I seriously think that Gareth would have a good case so long as there is a witness / CCTV footage showing the buttmonkey doing the damage and it wasnt Mrs. Jones with her weekly shop letting the trolley run into the car.
Bring it on Mr Generic Supermarket Chain, bring it on :D

It would be like me saying to Mr. B&Q Im not paying for that bollard I just knocked over as I have a sign in my car saying I dont accept any responsibility for accidents I might cause..... (Mind you, I didne pay for it, I legged it quick)
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

If you are ever going to Ashford International Station car park, be aware that the monkey who built the entrance has carefully placed the ticket machine so that it is impossible to get a ticket without getting your bumper jammed between the machine and a nearby bollard. By the time I had realised what the lines of paint-scores on the bollard meant, I was trapped too. Getting free meant losing my bumper. Luckily it was knackered and due for replacement anyway. Only the lack of a towbar stopped me from lassooing the ticket machine and driving off down the A2070.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

I've taken Marty's stance, and am now in negotiation with the supermarket.
I've told them that despite their "at your own risk" warnings, it was unreasonable, as well as potentially dangerous, that their staff member should attempt to manouvre 20 or so trolleys.
Fortunately, I said, I have my camera to prove the point.
Omitting to say said camera was at home
So now they have seven working days to compensate me - having produced a body-shop estimate for £200.
richard
BXpert

Post by richard »

I hope you get it sorted. I know the feeling of coming out of a shop and finding a trolley ding inmy car.

What I find worse, is the current trend in the new build supermarkets around here (and possibly everywhere else) is the narrow parking bays. If you park between two bx or xantia sized cars, it can be a tight squeeze! If a 4X4 parks next to you it is worse! No wonder so many folks park with the line running down the middle of their car.

Rant over!

Good Luck :D
daneinter
Confirmed BX'er

Post by daneinter »

This might be useful, it relates to a car being hit by a loose trolley left by a customer. By them saying that when trolley teams are operating they are being diligent it would seem to me that if you can prove it was a trolley jockey who caused the damage you would have a case.

" In a statement Tesco said, "While we regret this incident Tesco has a policy for dealing with such issues. We have teams of trolley collectors patrolling our car parks and most of our customers return their trolleys to the designated bays where they are secure until collected. However, occasionally a customer leaves their trolley unsecured and damage such as this can be caused to another customer's vehicle. While we appreciate this customer's comments we believe we demonstrated due diligence in that our trolley team was operating at the store at the time and therefore we cannot accept liability."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Thanks you for that daneinter.
The issue in my case, is whether pushing 20 trolleys amounts to "due diligence", and My Learned Friend, thinks not.
Bugger all these caveats, also such as in car washes, they all need challenging.
Gareth
M

Post by M »

Gareth Wales wrote:Bugger all these caveats, also such as in car washes, they all need challenging.
Gareth
Good for you - and if that doesnt work let me know and I will pop round and sit on the store manager.

Decided to put a disclaimer on the BX stating that the driver accepts no responsibility for any damage caused to other cars, the way I see it I can save a packet on insurance costs :twisted: :wink:
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Marty wrote: It would be like me saying to Mr. B&Q Im not paying for that bollard I just knocked over as I have a sign in my car saying I dont accept any responsibility for accidents I might cause..... (Mind you, I didne pay for it, I legged it quick)
Marty, you wouldn't be the 'friend' alleged to have done the following, would you? :shock:
the front bumper is broken just to the right of the front number plate where a friend I lent it to hit some bollards in a supermarket carpark and also cracked the os headlight which has had a new unit fitted.
see http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-BX-1-9-TX ... dZViewItem
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
M

Post by M »

No, I managed to write off a Laguna on a car park steel hoop thing. Then i bought my first HP Citroen - never looked back.