Coolant leak

BX Tech talk
Gouldy
My Cars: 1990 BX Gti 1.9

Coolant leak

Post by Gouldy »

Hi guys, I seem to have a coolant leak from the underside of this part with two coolant hoses. Anyone know what the part is and where to get one from?
Attachments
B0D7728F-0171-4E54-A416-732D7F446BA3.jpeg
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Re: Coolant leak

Post by Jaba »

That looks like the oil cooler. Does the oil filter screw onto it? As for sourcing one I am not sure apart from a used one. It can be safely bypassed while you look for another.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

That part is the oil-water heat exchanger (aka oil cooler) that sits under the engine oil filter.
Should be easy enough to find a replacement.

They come in a variety of thicknesses, and the tubular bolt that holds the unit in place - and carries the oil filter - has to be the correct length . . . so you'll need a replacement cooler of the same thickness, or the appropriate length M20 tubular bolt for your new one.

Hopefully, your unit is just leaking externally, and not allowing oil and coolant to get into each other. Check there is no sign of oil in the coolant, and no coolant in the oil!

If just an external leak of coolant (and assuming it's not just a hose leak) the two coolant hoses can be temporarily taken off and joined together, with a short length of 15mm copper pipe and some hose clips. This will jump the cooler out of the water circuit, but still allow normal oil flow through the filter. Engine will function quite happily like this under normal conditions, while you source a replacement.

These small steel coolers have a pretty good working life, but can fail eventually.
Chris
Gouldy
My Cars: 1990 BX Gti 1.9

Post by Gouldy »

Thanks guys epic help
As usual!
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Your picture isn't very clear, but it looks like the oil cooler to me. Is the car an automatic and is that picture on top of the gearbox? You'll need to replace the cooler to fix the leak, but make sure that you get the correct one as I believe the coolers are different between the engine and gearbox. It might be worth changing the gearbox oil too if it's leaking water as it could have got water in the gearbox. Assuming that's it is an automatic, that is.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).