Electric BX

Anything about BXs
Alice951
My Cars: I currently don't own any

Electric BX

Post by Alice951 »

Hey, since I'm currently a broke college student without a job I don't currently own a car, however with EV's being pushed more and more whenever the day comes that I do get a BX, I'm just curious as to would EV swapping a BX even be feasible. Given that I'm currently studying automotive engineering, we've done quite a bit on EV's and personally, I can't spot any glaring issues apart from that I have no idea how much power the hydraulic system on a BX would draw so I thought it'd be a good idea to ask people who own these cars as you know the cars a lot better than I do.
If it does sound like it'd be a feasible idea, I may end giving it a crack someday given I have the money and a BX to do it haha.
white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Re: Electric BX

Post by white exec »

Something I have wondered about, too.
BX has a lot going for it as an EV candidate: lightweight, self-levelling, huge flat boot...

The mechanically-driven hydraulic pump feeds brakes, steering and suspension.
Unsure about the h.p. involved, but not tiny.
If you look into some later Citroen hydropneumatic models - eg C5 - the hydraulic pump is electrically driven, which might be useful. C5 and C6 were the last of these. (Stupidly, Citroen positioned the C5 pump right under the hydraulic reservoir, so a leak there would drench and ruin the motor. You wouldn't make that same mistake...)

There are a couple of 'Citroen BX EV' YouTube videos, but not very informative.
FCF (frenchcarforum.co.uk) is a good read on this too, with parts and systems info as well.
Chris
Alice951

Post by Alice951 »

very interesting, thanks for that info!! It could definitely be interesting to look into the possibility of the mechanically driven pump being changed into a later electric one, I might have to do some research into this. hmm
I'll look those up, thanks!! I'm definitely gonna do some research and plan all this out as even if it's just planned in theory it'd be quite interesting to do.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Brilliant.. The future is bx shaped
I'm sure the guys on Vintage Voltage could do it for a mere 40k ish
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Alice951

Post by Alice951 »

Definitely!
xantia_v6
BXpert
My Cars: Peugeot 308 CC
Citroen XM V6 ES9
Citroen Xantia V6
Jaguar XJ-S V12

Post by xantia_v6 »

Check the regulations in your country for electric conversions.
In many countries, electric conversions must be certified, and this may be expensive.
Also, in some countries, the weight of the vehicle, including batteries and passengers must not exceed the original manufacturer's gross weight specification, and given that current technology batteries weigh 300+ kg, this can make it difficult to make a practical conversion on a lightweight car.
David
BXpert

Post by David »

It's mad that you've mentioned this; I was watching a video on YouTube just yesterday on how to do an electric conversion. (Although it was on a VW).

On the video that I saw, the principal was to just replace the engine and leave the (manual) gearbox in place. It then involved creating an inverter and power delivery system to handle the charging and torque control of the motor (which it didn't go into great detail of), using a fly by wire throttle and it incorporated a "standard, electric car" plug for charging.

I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult on a BX, if you could get the charging system and motor control working, as all you'd need is just a supplemental small motor to turn the hydraulic pump at around 1000rpm, without having to worry about a separate power steering or a vacuum system too. You could use an electric heater out of a Peugeot (I can't remember what model) for the heat, instead of a heater matrix, & there'd be plenty of room under the bonnet & where the fuel tank is for batteries. If created, the same system could be used on all BX's, regardless of the drive train or year; so it could even work with the 4x4s & the MK1s.

Here's a link, have a look and see what you all make of it.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Alice951 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:38 am broke college student
How broke? You can pick up an EV motor and inverter for £800, electronics to drive it for another £400. Then if you want to do more than 100 miles on one charge, you'll be into £3k to £8k on batteries dependent on how much performance you want.

I reckon I could just about squeeze BX 16Valve levels of EV power into a BX for £10k with 100 miles range, but its a hell of a squeeze.

Your best bet is to create a list of what you want out of the project, then use that to drive the specs. Power, Range, Cost will have obvious implications on DC Vs AC, off the shelf Vs recycled EV machine and size and type of batteries. Then how do you want to charge it? 3Kw, 7Kw, Chademo? The list is endless.

As for the HP pump, they are high torque low rotation. Just bolt a motor to the end, or put one next to the pump and drive-by belt so you have the natural over-torque slip. As far as I'm aware the later hydraulic systems are incompatible with LHM+ so a C5 or C6 hydraulic pump is a no go. The systems are sufficiently different that you can use them as a target spec for a direct drive motor.