BX Project

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Re: BX Project

Post by panky »

Interesting read and nice bit of diagnostic kit
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I'm surprised, given the cost, just how accurate at diagnosing the leakage it has been.
I've had the head at a machine shop and their findings have matched my leak testing. Both a good and bad result :D
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

CITROËN BX – CYLINDER HEAD OVERHAUL

Can I find the reason for the leaking pressure previously found? Can the leak be fixed with a cylinder head overhaul?

https://bxproject.co.uk/blog/citroen-bx ... -overhaul/
panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.

Post by panky »

Excellent write up. Just what I need for when I get my valver - I can dream can't I :roll:
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

There are a few knocking about if you want a project, never say never ;)
panky
BXpert

Post by panky »

My garage is full of Morris Minor Traveller parts that want to be a car again, who knows once that is out of the way............... :wink:
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Last week I saw three Morris Minor Travellers coming through my village, a pickup, a rag top and a saloon. They are easy to spot because of the odd exhaust resonance while slowing. I always look up when I hear that nostalgic noise. Never seen a BX through here though except for mine of course.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
panky
BXpert

Post by panky »

The Minor fart is quite unique isn't it :D
Minors are as common as muck compared to BX's, I can't recall seeing another since selling my GTi 25 years ago :(
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Citroën BX - Bottom End Teardown

Having found a leaking piston ring, it was time to go all-in on this XU9J4 engine and teardown the bottom end. What disasters await?

https://bxproject.co.uk/blog/citroen_bx ... _teardown/
panky
BXpert

Post by panky »

That's rotten luck. The turbo D crank seems to be the way to go but I guess it's down to finding a good one, but there must be plenty out there (you would think)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I'm still not convinced about the diesel crank in an Mi16 obsession.

They're 4kg lighter because they're missing 4 balance weights, and it's not like the valver engine struggles to spin.
Yes they are forged, but then whoever broke a valver crankshaft.
It makes sense if you have an unuseable crank, but this one is perfectly useable after a grind. We'll see.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Vanny wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:30 pm I'm still not convinced about the diesel crank in an Mi16 obsession.

They're 4kg lighter because they're missing 4 balance weights, and it's not like the valver engine struggles to spin.
Yes they are forged, but then whoever broke a valver crankshaft.
It makes sense if you have an unuseable crank, but this one is perfectly useable after a grind. We'll see.
I follow your thinking, I think, and I wonder what difference the flywheels might make too if there is a significant difference between them.
I suppose that balancing the crank of a high revving engine is more necessary than for a 4K diesel.
I have got a TD engine here you can have if you are tempted to go that way.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

And if the TD crank is meant to be so good then why didn’t PSA use it in the 16v to begin with? Surely it must have a drawback... otherwise you would have thought they would have used something similar for the highest performance engine they had at the time!
1991 Citroen BX 16v
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

RobC wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:15 pm And if the TD crank is meant to be so good then why didn’t PSA use it in the 16v to begin with? Surely it must have a drawback... otherwise you would have thought they would have used something similar for the highest performance engine they had at the time!
Cost, same as every decision automotive manufacturers make.

I've read that the later Mi16 engines (I assume the steel block ones from the Peugeots) did indeed receive a forged crank from a diesel engine, but it's not clear if it was the 4 or the 8 counterweight version.

The reality is, all the XU derived engines (XU, XUD, DW10, maybe DW8) all pretty much have the same crank, no surprise there.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Citroën BX - Refurbishing The Cylinder Head Parts
Having previously overhauled the cylinder head, it was time to prepare the rest of the parts and maybe start putting some of the engine back together.

https://bxproject.co.uk/blog/citroen-bx ... ead-parts/