BX Tech talk
white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

BX Suspension Spheres - Citroen's full spec

Post by white exec »

Lots of discussion about where to buy replacement spheres, and what the full and correct spec for each sphere, on each model, is.

This is Citroen's 1992 listing for all the BX models, and includes the full sphere spec:
eg 500/55/1.8 — meaning 500cc/55bar/1.8mm damping
? Click to enlarge
BX spheres from 1992_050920_AX_ZX_BX_XM.jpg
The top of the table indicates which sphere is fitted to the Front and the Rear, and gives it a number.
The lower part lists the sphere spec for each number.

For all cars, the Accumulator sphere spec is 400/62/-- (-- = no damping)

Note:
1. The 95.... and 96.... numbers in some cases still correspond to available Citroen sphere part numbers.
2. Some of these 95.... and 96.... are now NFP or obsolete.
3. Current part numbers for Citroen spheres can be found on ServiceBox (Citroen Parts).
4. Some rationalisation has occurred over the years, eg some 400cc front spheres have been replaced (by Citroen) by 500cc ones. Aftermarket suppliers may/may not have followed suit.

The purpose of reproducing this page is to list the FULL SPEC of each sphere position, for each car.
It should help check the listings by aftermarket suppliers.

Source: 1992 Citroen Private Cars mechanic's booklet 050920, AX BX XM (page 203)
Chris
Pcheaven
BXpert
My Cars: Landrover discovery sport 2020
Previously ipace/discovery 5/velar and many others including 2 bx gti back in early 1990

Re: BX Suspension Spheres - Citroen's full spec

Post by Pcheaven »

Very interesting. Many thanks. Have printed this out, for future reference.
BX Meteor. Sub 20000 miles. Very Original.

ToDo list.

1. ?G?e?t? ?c?a?m? ?b?e?t? ?e?t?c? ?r?e?p?l?a?c?e?d? ?e?t?c?
Have a GnT
2. G?e?t? ?t?h?e? ?r?a?d?i?o? ?t?o? ?w?o?r?k?.? ?
Have a GnT
3. Adjust the clutch
Have a GnT
4. Clean LHM tank then a complete flush
Have a GnT
5. Wash, clay bar then ceramic coat paintwork.
Have a GnT
6. Replace rear spheres
Have a GnT
7. Replace bottom hose
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Shame it only covers the 1992 models. Worth point out that those with an early mk1 need 400cc front spheres (ideally, though 500 will work) as they don't have the room for the larger type.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Kitch wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:27 am Shame it only covers the 1992 models. Worth point out that those with an early mk1 need 400cc front spheres (ideally, though 500 will work) as they don't have the room for the larger type.
The table does not mention early BX 16s and 19s but if it did it would show that they use nos.1 and 7 the BX14 spheres. That is what the info that I have shows (Andyspares 1997).
I don't get too exercised about this because the difference between them is not massive, they degrade anyway as pressure decreases also I think probably larger and softer spheres are better for todays potholed and speed bumped road conditions. So I have 500s on my GTi for preference on the front.
All of this decision making over the correct sphere to use can prove to be wishful when online suppliers only list two sphere types available for all models one for saloon the other for estate.

I always go to Westroen in Manchester every few years and he can supply whatever you want from his comprehensive stocks.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

I think this could be that old listing, which does contain the early BX 16 & 19 400cc spheres.
Pretty much a unique aftermarket list, in having all the then available spec included! Was this the Andyspares one?
Sphere data (table) 1of3.JPG
Sphere data (table) 2of3.JPG
Sphere data (table) 3of3.JPG
Chris
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

OK...pukka info...
Managed to find Citroen data page from
1985 Citroen Private Cars mechanic's booklet 050850, A LNA Visa Axel BX CX (page 185)
BX spheres from 1985_050850_AX_LNA_Visa_Axel_BX_CX.JPG
There is the earlier listing of the 400cc spheres. :)
Chris
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Jaba wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:54 pm
Kitch wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:27 am Shame it only covers the 1992 models. Worth point out that those with an early mk1 need 400cc front spheres (ideally, though 500 will work) as they don't have the room for the larger type.
The table does not mention early BX 16s and 19s but if it did it would show that they use nos.1 and 7 the BX14 spheres. That is what the info that I have shows (Andyspares 1997).
I don't get too exercised about this because the difference between them is not massive,
Sorry John, I missed this reply.

The difference isn't massive, no, but on a mk1 the 500cc spheres will foul the inner wing. They're physically too big. They'll work, but they'll be in constant contact with the bodyshell, which will probably damage something, long term.

Mine uses 400cc as used on some 14 models, and some GS. Most cars cars have a cut-out in the strut tower reinforcement panels to allow the 500cc spheres a bit of room (I would imagine ALL mk2 models do).
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Hi Richard, Actually I missed that you missed my reply.
Obviously size matters and that was not what I meant when I said I don't think it too critical. Its the pressure and damping hole size that only perfectionists worry about. Some even fit softer 'comfort' spheres.
I seem to recall that towards the end of Andypares they only carried one type of rear sphere to simplify their stocking requirements.

I didn't realises that more space had to be engineered for 500cc spheres. I still think they are amazing things for what they do in providing both spring and shock absorber in one assembly the size of a large fist.

Kitch wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:13 am
Jaba wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:54 pm
I don't get too exercised about this because the difference between them is not massive,
Sorry John, I missed this reply.

The difference isn't massive, no, but on a mk1 the 500cc spheres will foul the inner wing. They're physically too big. They'll work, but they'll be in constant contact with the bodyshell, which will probably damage something, long term.

Mine uses 400cc as used on some 14 models, and some GS. Most cars cars have a cut-out in the strut tower reinforcement panels to allow the 500cc spheres a bit of room (I would imagine ALL mk2 models do).
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.