My BX14 RE- Sold.

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Fumbler
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX14 RE
Nissan Micra Shape

Re: My BX14 RE

Post by Fumbler »

Bought a new unused starter motor. Expected to arrive on Friday.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Thats a good start to fixing it...............................gets coat and leaves
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Jaba wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:26 pm Thats a good start to fixing it...............................gets coat and leaves
Pcheaven
BXpert
My Cars: Landrover discovery sport 2020
Previously ipace/discovery 5/velar and many others including 2 bx gti back in early 1990

Post by Pcheaven »

Just noticed you are in Tunbridge Wells, like myself.
That makes at least 3 BX's in town, ours and a Black GTI I have seen couple of time :)
BX Meteor. Sub 20000 miles. Very Original.

ToDo list.

1. ?G?e?t? ?c?a?m? ?b?e?t? ?e?t?c? ?r?e?p?l?a?c?e?d? ?e?t?c?
Have a GnT
2. G?e?t? ?t?h?e? ?r?a?d?i?o? ?t?o? ?w?o?r?k?.? ?
Have a GnT
3. Adjust the clutch
Have a GnT
4. Clean LHM tank then a complete flush
Have a GnT
5. Wash, clay bar then ceramic coat paintwork.
Have a GnT
6. Replace rear spheres
Have a GnT
7. Replace bottom hose
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Pcheaven wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:57 am Just noticed you are in Tunbridge Wells, like myself.
That makes at least 3 BX's in town, ours and a Black GTI I have seen couple of time :)
Yes indeed! You'll probably see me ambling around town at some point, when I'm not at college in Somerset, that is.
Pcheaven
BXpert
My Cars: Landrover discovery sport 2020
Previously ipace/discovery 5/velar and many others including 2 bx gti back in early 1990

Post by Pcheaven »

somerset - it gets weirder - that's where I am from, I went to SCAT in Taunton many a moon ago
BX Meteor. Sub 20000 miles. Very Original.

ToDo list.

1. ?G?e?t? ?c?a?m? ?b?e?t? ?e?t?c? ?r?e?p?l?a?c?e?d? ?e?t?c?
Have a GnT
2. G?e?t? ?t?h?e? ?r?a?d?i?o? ?t?o? ?w?o?r?k?.? ?
Have a GnT
3. Adjust the clutch
Have a GnT
4. Clean LHM tank then a complete flush
Have a GnT
5. Wash, clay bar then ceramic coat paintwork.
Have a GnT
6. Replace rear spheres
Have a GnT
7. Replace bottom hose
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Pcheaven wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:11 am somerset - it gets weirder - that's where I am from, I went to SCAT in Taunton many a moon ago
At Bridgwater & Taunton College myself. It's safe to say I don't really like it. Fortunately I only have 1 day left before half term.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

The battery has arrived. It's a massive thing! I'll also try and order some gloss enamel in the correct colour code, as it's available but it's not really a priority to paint the bits in the correct shade of red. The respray that's been done to the bottom is, frankly, atrocious in places, as is the fact that they used way more filler than is needed, so any repairs I make look out-of-place anyway.
Called Edwards & Son, they have my spare wheel carrier, screw assembly and wheelbrace reserved for collection. Marvellous.
All my parts are in the post/have arrived, and I've only got one more day until I travel back home. The future is glowing bright.
white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

The Yuasa "096" has a solid reputation. Enjoy! :wink:
Chris
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

A Yuasa 096 is everso slightly overkill for a BX 14!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Kitch wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:18 pm A Yuasa 096 is everso slightly overkill for a BX 14!
Oh yes! It's price made it very good value. It'll physically fit, electrically work and I shouldn't need to worry about battery problems again.

It's also come to mind that I need a lower cam belt cover. If push comes to shove, I can make one out of steel but the original plastic one would be preferable. I also can't find much in the realms of single-stage gloss or enamel Rouge Furio paint. Base+clear would work, yes, but the car (the resprayed half, at least) is painted with a single-stage paint requiring no lacquer. I'll keep digging and using wrong shades of red in the interim.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I've got a huge 80Ah Quinton Hazell one on my diesel, it was great value and the car starts with ease and can be left for weeks.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Tim Leech wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:24 pm I've got a huge 80Ah Quinton Hazell one on my diesel, it was great value and the car starts with ease and can be left for weeks.
Yeah, that was part of the appeal for me. Being £69 it was much better value than Halfords' offerings- Batteries 1/3 the size were more expensive.
white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Have had a few Yuasa YBX3000's now, on the RAV4 D4D and the XM 2.5TD. Life for each one has been around 6 years, and never any trouble (until they finally need replacement). The BX19D now has one too, on its spacious battery shelf. Currently €98 here from my motor factor, so that £69 was a good one!

Now leave the XM hooked up to a CTEK MXS 3.8 intelligent charger in the garage, rather than a periodic charge with the old 12A transformer one. Always starts first flip of the key. It gets an outing every couple of weeks to somewhere — and would get far more were it not for the travel and visitor restrictions. Next long excursion for it is from here (Malaga) to France (near Poitiers) with us and our two dogs, optimistically pencilled in for July (the family visit, not the dogs...).

The 3.8A CTEK unit has been so good, I popped a 0.8A one on my birthday list this year, and that now gets used on the small and large batteries in the workshop. Lidl now selling one or two of these clever little chargers too.
Chris
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

New battery has fixed my starting problem. Still going to fit the relay this weekend and the starter motor this week.
The new carburettor has arrived and has a lot more working parts than what's currently fitted.