BX Tech talk
white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Adding a temperature gauge

Post by white exec »

Have managed to find a coolant temperature gauge instrument pod, which is on its way to me.

Need to lay in the necessary sender/sensor for the water outlet (thermostat housing) on the 19D.
Can anyone help pointing me to the correct sensor/sender for the gauge?

I'm assuming that the gauge was fitted just to BX GTi, but possibly to some other models too?

Good few sensors come up on parts. Not sure which one to utilise...
GTi 16S sensors.JPG
Petrol 1580 and 1905 sensors.JPG
Diesel 1905 sensors.JPG
Any help appreciated.
The BX the instrument pod is being recovered from has itself had a "full" instrument set added at some point, so unsure the origin of the instrument.
Chris
Pcheaven
BXpert
My Cars: Landrover discovery sport 2020
Previously ipace/discovery 5/velar and many others including 2 bx gti back in early 1990

Re: Adding a temperature gauge

Post by Pcheaven »

Sorry can’t help :(

But this sounds like a great mod. Something I pencilled in.
A while ago.
BX Meteor. Sub 20000 miles. Very Original.

ToDo list.

1. ?G?e?t? ?c?a?m? ?b?e?t? ?e?t?c? ?r?e?p?l?a?c?e?d? ?e?t?c?
Have a GnT
2. G?e?t? ?t?h?e? ?r?a?d?i?o? ?t?o? ?w?o?r?k?.? ?
Have a GnT
3. Adjust the clutch
Have a GnT
4. Clean LHM tank then a complete flush
Have a GnT
5. Wash, clay bar then ceramic coat paintwork.
Have a GnT
6. Replace rear spheres
Have a GnT
7. Replace bottom hose
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I reckon its the 133772 thermistor you want, its a very short sensor which can be extended for peace of mind with a piece of copper pipe.
From memory in the diesel there is a space in the housing to screw it in instead of a plug, if not do away with one of the warning switches.
I think people have improvised with senders from pug 205/405 and similar.
Very worthwhile mod.
If you are installing non standard gauges then of course you may not get standard results from the temp gauge.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Have come to the same conclusion - a 1337 72.
NFP, but lots of equivalents available (eg on Mister Auto). The QH equivalent there (QH XTT28) helpfully says "With water temperature gauge". Febi 30767 is another common one.

Trawling through the Servicebox parts pages, seems to confirm that the temperature gauges were only fitted to BX for the 19GTi, which also got a 112°C temp (warning) switch, and a 12mm-thread 2-pin temp sensor (presumably for the Inj ECU). A good few cars also made use of the 1337 72 thermistor. Fortunately, lots of 14mm threaded holes on most of our water outlets, with not all of them always used.

Did find that Gabor's BX site (citroen.tramontana.co.hu) also carries a "How to..." for retrofitting a temp gauge to BX's...
https://citroen.tramontana.co.hu/en/coo ... ture-gauge.
Useful addition to all the thread details here, going way back, including a 2006 thread, where Anders confirmed the 1337 72:
viewtopic.php?p=25777#p25777.
It's all here . . . somewhere! [-X

Will try to do a bench test of gauge + sensor, before fitting into the car.
One more job for the to do list!
Chris
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

You can just remove one of the sensors for the warning lights from the stat housing, its just a normal thread M10/12 x 1.25 or the like, I'm pretty sure I used a Fiat sensor, if you Google the thread size you should find something that'll fit.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

While you’re at it, rewire the single warning light you’ll be left with (which will now be red) to light up with the lower temperature switch (which usually feeds the orange light).
The red warning switch is pretty much useless because once it lights up, your head gasket has already gone 😂
1991 Citroen BX 16v
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Will be doing just that Rob - using the lower temp switch (105°C iirc) for a visible warning :!: .

While looking through pages at gauge sensor info (and settling on the 1337 72, which is now ordered for the grand sum of €9), I was trying to find an electrical wiring diagram for the 19GTi which actually covered instrumentation.

Haynes has a few EWDs for the later models/injected cars, but nothing easily found for the temp gauges, until I found this, on the '1987' pages.
You could even think these were everyday items...
? click/zoom to enlarge
BX coolant and oil sensors, where fitted
BX coolant and oil sensors, where fitted
It's from the 1991 Haynes manual, and a clearer diagram (for the tiny instrument panel edge connector numbers) that some of the later editions.

Thought it a useful addition to the helpful "how to..." write-ups here and elsewhere.
Chris