My BX14 RE- Sold.

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
David
BXpert

Re: My BX14 RE

Post by David »

Fumbler wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:32 pm Image
Sussed the wash-wipe switch connections. This is a sort of side project as it isn't really necessary, but it's convenient. I hope to put a switch where the front foglight switch would go, so I need to find a backlit SPDT switch the same size from somewhere.
There's a mod on this forum to replace the rear wiper switch on hatchbacks for estate switches & relays. Have a look through if you want to do a proper job. I'm intending on doing it on my car when I can get hold of an estate switch.

Alternatively, you could do a quick 'bodge' for the time being by just linking 2 of the grey wires together with a toggle switch to make the wiper stay on. (It's the top left & bottom right grey wires in your picture). You could even secure it where the fog light switch would go, but if you did it this way, it'd just be on or off, there wouldn't be a time delay.

The Peugeot 205 uses the same sized switches as the BX for certain things, such as the fog lights, so they'll push straight in, but they look different from the front.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
Fumbler
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX14 RE
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

David wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:52 pm
Sussed the wash-wipe switch connections. This is a sort of side project as it isn't really necessary, but it's convenient. I hope to put a switch where the front foglight switch would go, so I need to find a backlit SPDT switch the same size from somewhere.
There's a mod on this forum to replace the rear wiper switch on hatchbacks for estate switches & relays. Have a look through if you want to do a proper job. I'm intending on doing it on my car when I can get hold of an estate switch.

Alternatively, you could do a quick 'bodge' for the time being by just linking 2 of the grey wires together with a toggle switch to make the wiper stay on. (It's the top left & bottom right grey wires in your picture). You could even secure it where the fog light switch would go, but if you did it this way, it'd just be on or off, there wouldn't be a time delay.

The Peugeot 205 uses the same sized switches as the BX for certain things, such as the fog lights, so they'll push straight in, but they look different from the front.
Indeed, I did look at intermittent wiper function but that isn't what I wanted in the end, I just wanted the wiper to be toggled on/off with a separate switch where the foglight switch would go, so that I can wipe the rear window without operating the washer pump at the same time.

For what I need to do, I need a DPDT switch as I's like the wiper to park as normal. The circuit is broken when the switch is pressed in so I need to mimic that by having park mechanism in series between switches, otherwise the wiper won't move when either switch is pressed in or turned on.

I still want to do this one day, but I've got things like an oil change and stuff to do first!
David
BXpert

Post by David »

There are still ways to do it. My initial thought was if you put a toggle switch in parallel with the original circuit, then it wouldn't affect the wiper park & it'd still wash & wipe on the button, but if you remove the wires from the original switch, then it would alter the operation. Even then, you could remove all 3 wires, put a 2 way toggle switch in & then put the live at the top, wiper motor in the middle & wiper park at the bottom, so then it would return to park when turned off, provided that you got the correct switch. The only downside to this is that your current wiper switch would need another live & then it'd just become a wash button.

Just another curious question, where did you get the LED lights from in your interior? - I've been thinking of trying some in my BX.

Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

David wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:13 pm There are still ways to do it. My initial thought was if you put a toggle switch in parallel with the original circuit, then it wouldn't affect the wiper park & it'd still wash & wipe on the button, but if you remove the wires from the original switch, then it would alter the operation. Even then, you could remove all 3 wires, put a 2 way toggle switch in & then put the live at the top, wiper motor in the middle & wiper park at the bottom, so then it would return to park when turned off, provided that you got the correct switch. The only downside to this is that your current wiper switch would need another live & then it'd just become a wash button.

Just another curious question, where did you get the LED lights from in your interior? - I've been thinking of trying some in my BX.
Ah. See, I've been basing my circuit off of what the switch on the dash does. The switch breaks the park circuit and energises the pump and wiper motor circuits when it's pressed in. When released, it breaks the pump and motor circuits, and makes the park circuit. With this in mind, I didn't want to attempt to start the wiper motor while the park circuit was already engaged should there be a fuse that could blow. I think I should probably consult the wiring diagram for it to make sure I'm on the right track, though!

The collapsed Sun LEDs I have were some LED Festoon lamp replacements I bought off eBay. I opted for 5W LEDs but I think 3W ones would be far better at keeping the car as bright as it was with the standard bulbs. My LEDs light up not only the car, byut the surroundings outside!
David
BXpert

Post by David »

I've actually been messing with the circuit today, and from what I tried, it worked when I jumpered the wires together without removing the switch, just it seemed a bit slow around the 'park' position. Maybe it's getting 2 different signals from the wires.

I was trying to work out what all the wires did in order to fit an intermittent relay. Here's a picture of my connections
IMG_3388[1].JPG
It just needed the 1 of the green wires connecting to live for wash & wipe (as the original switch provides), & the other for intermittent wipe.

The brown wire in the switch plug is neutral & the green wire that I didn't connect to is the lights.

Below is a generic picture of the connections inside (ignore the colour references, it's for a different car).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Hmm... Interesting! I'll have a play around with jumping the motor circuit. I have a feeling the slowness is interference with the park circuit fighting the motor circuit for control. They directly act on the motor but at separate times, so combining them is probably why this happens.
white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Probably best not to 'play around', as there is scope on this for short-circuit across connections.
The actual circuit for the rear wash-wipe is in Haynes.
Shout if you cannot locate it.

You originally wanted to manually do a rear wipe without wash happening. Is that still something you'd like to have?

If you want a variable intermittent rear wipe, that's not difficult, using a small Vellemann timer module. Can provide details.
Chris
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

white exec wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:00 am Probably best not to 'play around', as there is scope on this for short-circuit across connections.
The actual circuit for the rear wash-wipe is in Haynes.
Shout if you cannot locate it.

You originally wanted to manually do a rear wipe without wash happening. Is that still something you'd like to have?

If you want a variable intermittent rear wipe, that's not difficult, using a small Vellemann timer module. Can provide details.
Never wanted intermittent rear wipe, just a manual toggle which allows it to park as well. I know exactly how to go about this, but I'm waiting on parts and I'm still deciding on how I'll go about making the modification fully reversible. As an apprentice electrician who also works on ELV equipment, I know there are risks with "practically" finding out how things work, which is why I have held fire before I make any alterations with the wiring.

------

In commuting to work it's clocked over 99000 miles. Wouldn't call them trouble-free and uneventful miles. but it's done well for what it is. No oil has fallen out of the engine and it'll be this weekend I drain it all out and bung some 15W40 in. Something tells me that garden engine 10W40 isn't the same as the 10W40 you pick up at Halfords.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Performed an oil change and all has gone well. All the oil drips that were on the bottom of the engine have gone, so the gasket repair has worked! I'm taking it to a car meet tomorrow and I have full faith that it'll get there and back hassle-free. It does 100 miles a day commuting so it'll be just fine I should think.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Does it get a treat at 100k
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

rutter123 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:14 pm Does it get a treat at 100k
No clue- haven't really thought about it yet!
deltic
BXpert

Post by deltic »

After 19+ years of BX ownership I'm still learning as I didn't know that estates had a different rear wiper operation! Going from a GSA where one could leave the wiper on to the BX's push to operate only seemed retrograde at the time.
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 137,000 miles (2015, 2017 & 2019 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 92,000 miles (2022 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
2006 C4 VTR+ 2.0 Coupé, silver, 78,000 miles (RIP)
2016 Volvo V40 T2 R-Design Pro, blue, 24,000 miles
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

deltic wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:11 pm

After 19+ years of BX ownership I'm still learning as I didn't know that estates had a different rear wiper operation! Going from a GSA where one could leave the wiper on to the BX's push to operate only seemed retrograde at the time.
Yeah I'm struggling to see the reasoning behind it really. My only wonder is whether the aesthetics and design of the column stalks meant this was their only choice or something. There isn't really any logic to it, really- because of the long overhang you don't usually get spray while moving and when you're going over 40MPH, no rain hits the window anyway. You don't want to wash the window every time you operate the wiper too. Very strange, very French really.
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

It does seem a bit strange- but I do find that it’s easy enough to do one pass of the screen without any washer fluid appearing, since it takes so long to pump from the front to back of the car.
Would obviously prefer a normal latched intermittent though.

Out of interest… How does the wash work on the estate- do you have to keep it held in? (Sorry to derail thread).
1991 Citroen BX 16v
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

RobC wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:13 am It does seem a bit strange- but I do find that it’s easy enough to do one pass of the screen without any washer fluid appearing, since it takes so long to pump from the front to back of the car.
Would obviously prefer a normal latched intermittent though.

Out of interest… How does the wash work on the estate- do you have to keep it held in? (Sorry to derail thread).
Indeed, I do the same thing but I hate the fact that I'm running the pump for short bursts all the time. I'll fit a toggle switch at some point once more pressing things are sorted.